billmac

98 Tracker: Decent deal?

I'm looking at a 98 Tracker Pro Angler V16, 40hp Merc.  Minn Kota V2, Hummingbird Helix 5.  $3500.

Owner says everything works.  Any thoughts? It seems like a pretty good deal but I don't have a lot of experience.

I think it should be closer to $2500-$2800 depending on how it is equipped. Original trolling motor? how old are the batteries? Trailer tires? Fuel lines? etc. If there's a lot of age on the miscellaneous items, $3500 could turn into $4500 real quick with replacing the aged items

• Like 3

Make sure to drive it, check to see if the trolling motor and the live wells work and check the hull for any dings/leaks/anomalies.  If you have a buddy who knows boats, ask him to go along with you.  Do not be afreaid to walk if something looks “fishy.”  Good luck man!

Ha.  I should probably tell you that I am in Northern NY.  There'll be no boat driving until April.

too much, especially when you cant' test ride.

That's a lot for a 21 year old vessel.

Ditto on comments submitted. I would add that you especially need to check out the motor, e.g how many hours of use, maintenance receipts or records, etc. Typically a motor represents half the cost of the boat, motor, and trailer.

Do your homework. Check Kelly Blue book, boats. All the above comments are spot on.

You only mention a 40 HP mercury motor. If it is a Mercury it should be okay. If it has the Force engine you would be better off to walk away from that deal. I have a 98 Bass Tracker 175 that came with a Force engine. I blew a cylinder in it after having about 2 years. That motor also gave me other problems before that.