Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’ve been looking at the St. Croix legend elite casting rod ( 7’ 6” moderate fast tip,medium heavy power) for throwing jigs and soft plastics (1/4 oz most of the time but an occasional 5/16,3/8 jig) The lure weight on the rod is listed at 3/8-1 1/4 oz .I thought going with a moderate fast taper might make it easier for throwing the smaller size jigs.Does this sound right ? ( I have no experience with a moderate fast tip) what are the advantages and disadvantages of a moderate fast tip ? What would be a good baitcaster to go with to pair up with this rod ( same price range)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you have the rod picked out. I throw jigs almost exclusively year round. Some plastics here and there. But if your used to throwing lighter jigs, imo, I would grab anywhere from a gen4 RevoS to a Shinano currado 70 for smaller jigs. Something that wont break the bank. If money doesn't matter get a Alderbaran 50 or even a bantam. But I've never held a legend Elite so I'm not sure what the swing weight would do for your reel in hand feel. I've got an 7'4" H/F S.C. Avid that I use to punch with braid and sometimes throw fluro with. 

 

Just out of curiosity,  have you even used any of the Zodias rods? They are really nice for the price if your looking to throw jigs. I've got a zodias / currado 70 combo for smaller jigs and love it. 

 

To answer your question about the rods action, the moderate fast action will be a little bit slower to respond with your hook sets compared to a fast action blank. I don't have a ton of knowledge when it comes to rod actions. I normally throw some size of 7' rod ( all my rods are 7'+ ) and mh/f or h/f. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you mean lighter jigs? If you mean like a 1/4 jig, I'd go with the rod's specs and not its action. The rod should excel at its recommended weights, and may or may not handle things a bit lighter or heavier.  That would be a case by case, rod by rod basis. Some will, some won't.

 

I think you should be alright because a 1/4oz jig with a trailer is probably pushing 3/8-1/2oz anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, aceman387 said:

I’ve been looking at the St. Croix legend elite casting rod ( 7’ 6” moderate fast tip,medium heavy power) for throwing jigs and soft plastics (1/4 oz most of the time but an occasional 5/16,3/8 jig) The lure weight on the rod is listed at 3/8-1 1/4 oz .I thought going with a moderate fast taper might make it easier for throwing the smaller size jigs.Does this sound right ? ( I have no experience with a moderate fast tip) what are the advantages and disadvantages of a moderate fast tip ? What would be a good baitcaster to go with to pair up with this rod ( same price range)

I believe that rod was designed for flipping and pitching medium sized jigs.  I would think for an all around soft plastic rod I would go with a Med Fast or MH Fast but if you intend on going with this rod, a Shimano Curado DC would make a great flipping and pitching reel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 What does "moderate fast tip" mean?  Is the stated action on the rod "moderate fast?"  The action description one the rod (M/F/ExF) refer to the rod, not the tip.

 

If it is a St Croix heavy power it is most likely too powerful to properly load while casting 1/4 -3/8 jigs.  It is the power that you want to match with the weight of the lures you want to cast.  And St Croix's are  a little more powerful than other rods with the same stated power. If the lure weight recommendation on the blank states a minimum of 3/8 and it's a heavy power St Croix then I think you will be disappointed in casting lighter lures.  It will do it, but a MH power would be better.

 

If you have two rods which are of equal power and properly matched to the lure weight, one a fast action and one a moderate action, the moderate will be easier to cast with baitcasters than the fast.  By easier, I mean fewer backlashes, a slower casting action on your part, less arm stress.  Faster actions will develop more force in hook sets with less rod travel than moderates of the same power.

 

The Daiwas in the $100-$200 price range are great casting reels.  As is the Curado.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, MickD said:

 What does "moderate fast tip" mean?  Is the stated action on the rod "moderate fast?"  The action description one the rod (M/F/ExF) refer to the rod, not the tip.

 

If it is a St Croix heavy power it is most likely too powerful to properly load while casting 1/4 -3/8 jigs.  It is the power that you want to match with the weight of the lures you want to cast.  And St Croix's are  a little more powerful than other rods with the same stated power. If the lure weight recommendation on the blank states a minimum of 3/8 and it's a heavy power St Croix then I think you will be disappointed in casting lighter lures.  It will do it, but a MH power would be better.

 

If you have two rods which are of equal power and properly matched to the lure weight, one a fast action and one a moderate action, the moderate will be easier to cast with baitcasters than the fast.  By easier, I mean fewer backlashes, a slower casting action on your part, less arm stress.  Faster actions will develop more force in hook sets with less rod travel than moderates of the same power.

 

The Daiwas in the $100-$200 price range are great casting reels.  As is the Curado.

IMO, moderate fast is the perfect rod action and can do just about anything.  It falls somewhere between moderate and fast, but much closer to fast.  Think of it as a tad slower of a fast action.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it interesting that the use of mod or mod/fast actions is so extensive in the pro tournaments.  You can tell the actions by how the rod curves when they are under stress, and there are a LOT of rods in use there that are neither fast nor extra fast.  For all techniques.  Meanwhile, it seems that we in the "normal" fishing population seem to be demanding faster and faster actions.

 

There are certain techniques that just cannot be done well with slow or fast actions.  Like snapping 5 inch swimbaits on bullet jigs off the bottom.  Similarly, I think blades are more effective when using a mod/fast action.  Of course the power has to be right, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MickD said:

I find it interesting that the use of mod or mod/fast actions is so extensive in the pro tournaments.  You can tell the actions by how the rod curves when they are under stress, and there are a LOT of rods in use there that are neither fast nor extra fast.  For all techniques.  Meanwhile, it seems that we in the "normal" fishing population seem to be demanding faster and faster actions.

 

Great observation. Never been a fan of x-fast, and certainly haven't jumped on that bandwagon despite everything seeming to be going that way in the recent past. Think I now only own 1 rod I would classify as such. It's fun to fish with, but a good mod-fast is just so versatile and accommodating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll pass along an analogy of sorts. Think of rod action in terms of a competitive 3 meter diving board. You likely know that these diving boards have a wheel where an athlete can "tune" it to his or her bodyweight and for the height he or she jumps to load it up for a dive. So, if the wheel moves the fulcrum close to the end of the board, it makes it stiffer; if the wheel moves the fulcrum far back and away from the end of the board, it makes it soft and spongy. 

 

Rods are like this: as regards the distance they can cast a lure, there is sort of an optimal point. If you put a 4 ounce large swimbait on a M powered 7 ft. rod, and you rear back to cast it for distance, you may snap the rod. You certainly won't get good distance. The lure is too heavy for that rod. On the other end, if you attempt to throw a 6 gram ultra-light lure on a MH rod, the rod won't load up, you won't get good distance.

 

Beyond casting issues, then you have hook setting issues, too. The rod that casts the farthest might not have the hook setting power you need for certain applications.

 

Say, St. Croix used to have a pretty good descriptor for each of its rods, what they are intended for. I like this over just giving a lure weight range. A new format may or may not do this any longer.

 

Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×