wasabi_VA

Headlamp for dusk fishing?

Do any of you wear a headlamp to help show line twitches when fishing in low light conditions? I was fishing with some hi-vis line the other evening and thought that might really help me. Just a regular headlamp or is there a special bulb/led that works best? My little headmap has a white and a red led.

I have this guy and it has been great so far.   One of the best investments I have ever made.  It is a little heavy but it has worked out well for just about every condition I can through at it. It puts out a lot of light.

91uAiofVAFL._SL1500_.jpg

• Thanks 1

Two full seasons with Fox Outfitters Firefly...about $20 on Amazon.  I've been extremely happy with it.   I keep mine in my kayak crate all the time, so it had to be very weatherproof...it gets rained on throughout the year.  This one works when I need it.

However....I do not use it for line watching.  It only gets switched on when I need it.  Two main reasons: even with red lens, it can screw up your night vision...with white lens, night vision can be hosed for quite a while after just a half minute.....and the bugs....might not be much problem here in Feb....but the rest of the year, it's a bug magnet.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Choporoz said:

Two full seasons with Fox Outfitters Firefly...about $20 on Amazon.  I've been extremely happy with it.   I keep mine in my kayak crate all the time, so it had to be very weatherproof...it gets rained on throughout the year.  This one works when I need it.

However....I do not use it for line watching.  It only gets switched on when I need it.  Two main reasons: even with red lens, it can screw up your night vision...with white lens, night vision can be hosed for quite a while after just a half minute.....and the bugs....might not be much problem here in Feb....but the rest of the year, it's a bug magnet.

I found a few small sheets of greenish yellow mylar a craft store that bend to cover the light on mine and it seems to keep most of the bugs away.  Since the light bends where it attaches I can either use painters tape or velcro to secure it.  It may look goofy but it works.

Also, I have a red lens for my light but it doesn't help much with bugs. 

3 hours ago, FishTank said:

I have this guy and it has been great so far.   One of the best investments I have ever made.  It is a little heavy but it has worked out well for just about every condition I can through at it. It puts out a lot of light.

91uAiofVAFL._SL1500_.jpg

can you tell me what model this is ? since I like the battery pack at the back. 

3 hours ago, Burke said:

can you tell me what model this is ? since I like the battery pack at the back. 

The pic I posted is from Amazon and is actually the wrong one.  The one above takes regular batteries.  The one I have is rechargeable. 

Here is the link to it on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Princeton-Tec-Apex-Rechargeable-Headlamp/dp/B01CHCGAB6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=R21K1EFC9Y4A&keywords=princeton+tec+rechargeable+headlamp&qid=1549744718&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=princeton+headlamp+rechargeable%2Csporting%2C173&sr=1-4