What reel would you guys rather have for moving baits in the 1/2oz range. Metanium MGL XG or the 8.1 Steez SV with the longer handle. Note: fishing skinny water where accuracy not distance is key. Thanks

19 minutes ago, yellowcard129 said:

What reel would you guys rather have for moving baits in the 1/2oz range. Metanium MGL XG or the 8.1 Steez SV with the longer handle. Note: fishing skinny water where accuracy not distance is key. Thanks

I was about to post the same topic.  I have a reel that was damaged that I need to replace and it can't be repaired and these are the two that I am interested in.   I had the original Steez and it just didn't do it for me so ended up returning it but the new Steez that I have looked at is way different in feel and smoothness.  I have not put my hands on the Metanium MGL as of yet.  I have several other Shimano and have never had an issue but even though my Shimano reels are my favorite, I am not a total fan boy.  I like what I like and a new Steez is a possibility.

I would go with the Steez. I have had both. The Steez is smoother, holds up over time better and also holds more line. For me (larger hands) it palms just a lot better as well. Additional benefit is the ability to skip with the Steez. 

I would recommend the 7.1:1 version though. The 8- version is too quick for moving baits in my opinion and the spool is also too shallow. I would recommend that reel for finesse applications.

Hop that helps a little.

I have 3 metanium mgls and love them but ive been a shimano guy my entire life and want to try something different. Always wanted to try a Steez. No such thing as too fast of a gear ratio for moving baits in my opinion. Thanks for the responses.

I've got 10 of the Metanium MGL's and love them.  I'm a diehard Shimano/Loomis guy and have been for 20 years.

As long as you stick with Shimano or Daiwa you'll be fine, can't go wrong with either of those two companies.  Handle both in person and see which one you like.  Good luck.