Jump to content
Dialed_N

Smallies in the poconos

Recommended Posts

Hey guys I am going to be vacationing in the poconos at the end of May (23rd-29th) I was wondering if you guys had some recommendations on what lures I should be throwing for smallies/largemouths/walleyes at that time of the year. I have never caught a smallmouth or a walleye. I’ll be staying around east shroudsburg and have mapped a few lakes out that are kind of close by. I will be bank fishing, but have never fished for those species before and was looking for some input. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tube, Jerkbait, squarebill would definitely be in my bag as well as a senko.  Lake walleyes from shore might be tough.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your better smallmouth and walleye lakes are going to be large reservoirs like Wallenpaupack and I can give zero advice on that lake from shore.  The Poconos offer lots of small lakes loaded with vegetation that make for great largemouth fishing and a bunch of streams that make for solid trout water, but those aren't lakes I'd go to to target smallmouth or walleye. Your best bet for quality smallmouth and walleye water would be either the Delaware or North Branch of the Susquehanna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Turkey sandwich said:

Your better smallmouth and walleye lakes are going to be large reservoirs like Wallenpaupack and I can give zero advice on that lake from shore.  The Poconos offer lots of small lakes loaded with vegetation that make for great largemouth fishing and a bunch of streams that make for solid trout water, but those aren't lakes I'd go to to target smallmouth or walleye. Your best bet for quality smallmouth and walleye water would be either the Delaware or North Branch of the Susquehanna.

Awesome, thank you for the advice sir. Is there ways I can fish the Delaware or Susquehanna from the PA side? Because I would like to avoid having to buy both a PA and NJ temp fishing license. But looking on my maps it looked to me like I might need a NJ license to fish the rivers. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 7:00 AM, Dialed_N said:

Awesome, thank you for the advice sir. Is there ways I can fish the Delaware or Susquehanna from the PA side? Because I would like to avoid having to buy both a PA and NJ temp fishing license. But looking on my maps it looked to me like I might need a NJ license to fish the rivers. 

Plenty of places to fish the Delaware or Susquehanna from shore on the PA side. No need to buy a NJ license. There is a dirt road off of route 209 that leads along the Delaware. Also there are state run launch sites along both rivers that are good for fishing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 7:00 AM, Dialed_N said:

Awesome, thank you for the advice sir. Is there ways I can fish the Delaware or Susquehanna from the PA side? Because I would like to avoid having to buy both a PA and NJ temp fishing license. But looking on my maps it looked to me like I might need a NJ license to fish the rivers. 

Both rivers offer a lot. Both can be fished with a PA license.  They both have solid walleye populations.  The Delaware is more diverse a fishery, but the Susquehanna is by a good bit the better smallmouth fishery.  If you like chasing brown trout also, the Upper Delaware closer to NY is a great trout fishery. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you have a bunch of 1/8 oz. ball head jigs and a variety of 3" curly tails to put on them. You'll get bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Crestliner2008 said:

Make sure you have a bunch of 1/8 oz. ball head jigs and a variety of 3" curly tails to put on them. You'll get bit.

That's about all you ever need anywhere!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×