Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Looking for a reel to pair up with a veritas 7’11” heavy, would like it to be a reel for punching, frogging, and throwing decent sized swimbaits. Don’t want it to be crazy expensive but also don’t want it to be a dirt cheap reel that is going to break on me, thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

aluminum frame reel. H2O Mettle from Academy will be your cheapest. Curado would be the best pricey reel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Winch is lower ratio. Got that for Xmas. Can’t wait to use it. Winch Rods are slower tip moderate. Set up more for crankbaits. But that’s how I’m using it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment Bass Pro Shops has the Pro Qualifier II on sale for $49.99.

Hard to beat at that price. normal price is $99.99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Russ E said:

At the moment Bass Pro Shops has the Pro Qualifier II on sale for $49.99.

Hard to beat at that price. normal price is $99.99

Try to hold off until TW has their sale for the “Winch” about $199.00, not really going to find it on sale. Most ship it from factory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Spankey said:

Try to hold off until TW has their sale for the “Winch” about $199.00, not really going to find it on sale. Most ship it from factory. 

I own a winch. Ok for crankbaits but too slow for what the op is looking for. 

In all honesty the quality of a pro qualifier is just as good as the winch for 1/4 the price.

Plus it comes in 2 different ratios.

If I was going to spend over $150.00 it would be on a tatula sv or a curado.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gonna be realistic here. I have the PQ2 and while it's a nice reel overall, it will NOT be able to handle heavy cover punching, frogging. I broke mine and gears are all F'd.

 

100% preventable if you don't use it for that purpose as it's a good quality reel for the price but it will not hold up in the really heavy cover stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

High speed reel for punch and frogging id go with a tatula. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ResoKP said:

Gonna be realistic here. I have the PQ2 and while it's a nice reel overall, it will NOT be able to handle heavy cover punching, frogging. I broke mine and gears are all F'd.

 

100% preventable if you don't use it for that purpose as it's a good quality reel for the price but it will not hold up in the really heavy cover stuff.

You must have got a dud. while it is not my favorite reel for all applications, It is often what I use for punching and big whopper ploppers.. I have abused one of them for over 3 years and it is still like new. I use 65 lb braid and the drag is always cranked down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shimano Tranx 200 might be worth looking at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Russ E said:

You must have got a dud. while it is not my favorite reel for all applications, It is often what I use for punching and big whopper ploppers.. I have abused one of them for over 3 years and it is still like new. I use 65 lb braid and the drag is always cranked down.

Your definition of heavy cover probably isn't my version of heavy cover if you can also throw whopper ploppers. My kind of stuff is at the very least punching 1oz tungsten just to touch the water

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ResoKP said:

Gonna be realistic here. I have the PQ2 and while it's a nice reel overall, it will NOT be able to handle heavy cover punching, frogging. I broke mine and gears are all F'd.

 

100% preventable if you don't use it for that purpose as it's a good quality reel for the price but it will not hold up in the really heavy cover stuff.

just bought the pq2 ... on the way ... good point you make ... got a kk, pflueger and quantum with 17 pound drag more suitable for froggin in a jungle ... however most my fishing is done in waters not like that and the 10 lb. drag is very capable for my style of fishing ... knew this before i bought it ...

 

good fishing ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Russ E said:

At the moment Bass Pro Shops has the Pro Qualifier II on sale for $49.99.

Hard to beat at that price. normal price is $99.99

Is there a difference between this https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-pro-qualifier-2-limited-edition-baitcast-reel

and https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-pro-qualifier-2-baitcast-reel
?

Would get one just to put in the car as a backup for that price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, greentrout said:

just bought the pq2 ... on the way ... good point you make ... got a kk, pflueger and quantum with 17 pound drag more suitable for froggin in a jungle ... however most my fishing is done in waters not like that and the 10 lb. drag is very capable for my style of fishing ... knew this before i bought it ...

 

good fishing ...

Grats on the reel purchase! And for your usage, I'm sure you'll have zero issues with the PQ2. It's a good reel especially for the current sale price!

2 minutes ago, freelancer27 said:

Should be the exact same reel minus the colors. This is on the Canadian BPS flyer "SAME GREAT PRO QUALIFIER REEL!"

 

image.png.4e670e354f8c1ad82bab6171ea5dae27.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, freelancer27 said:

 

1 minute ago, ResoKP said:

Grats on the reel purchase! And for your usage, I'm sure you'll have zero issues with the PQ2. It's a good reel especially for the current sale price!

when you checkout you will see in bold letters >> ORIGINAL PRICE 99.99 >> it's the real/reel deal ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those pro qualifier reels are nice especially for the money.  Just picked up another. Any of the aluminum frame newer daiwas would get my vote. The new tatula 100 really impressed me. Love the tatula and fuego ct reels as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2019 at 1:06 AM, Noah_t said:

Looking for a reel to pair up with a veritas 7’11” heavy, would like it to be a reel for punching, frogging, and throwing decent sized swimbaits. Don’t want it to be crazy expensive but also don’t want it to be a dirt cheap reel that is going to break on me, thanks. 

Id recommend  a quantum smoke S3 for what you describe. Picked one up last year based on a ton of positive reviews and am loving it.

Has 25 lb max drag, holds a good amount of line for its small profile 150 yds of 14 lb mono, weighs 6.9 oz and casts amazingly.

It has performed flawlessly for one season so far throwing baits like the spro rat 40, whopper plopper 110, S-Waver 168.

Actually thinking about replacing all my Lews with these.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, long island basser said:

quantum smoke S3

+1 for the Smoke. Most underrated reel of the decade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 2/28/2019 at 1:29 PM, Russ E said:

You must have got a dud. while it is not my favorite reel for all applications, It is often what I use for punching and big whopper ploppers.. I have abused one of them for over 3 years and it is still like new. I use 65 lb braid and the drag is always cranked down.

I was at Cabelas last night to return/exchange a pair of Crocs (I got two different size shoes) and behind the return counter was a stack of the Pro Qualifier Spring Sale reels. I guess we had a nice enough day for people to get out and test them.  I asked about it and people returned them because they said they were defective. 

 

I talked to the guys in fishing department about it and one said that they would not recommend this reel and the other said it's a 50/50 reel> 50% work and the other 50% do not.   If you read the reviews on Cabela's and BPS's website, it sort of reflects this.  

 

I too have the Revo Wench Gen 4 and I use it for anything heavy.  I think it would work great for anything other than fast moving topwater (buzzbaits, etc) and flipping.  It is definitely a heavy duty reel and can handle pulling out some cabbage. It would also balance nicely with a longer rod.    I picked up mine on Amazon for $150 when they had it on sale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, FishTank said:

 

I was at Cabelas last night to return/exchange a pair of Crocs (I got two different size shoes) and behind the return counter was a stack of the Pro Qualifier Spring Sale reels. I guess we had a nice enough day for people to get out and test them.  I asked about it and people returned them because they said they were defective. 

 

I talked to the guys in fishing department about it and one said that they would not recommend this reel and the other said it's a 50/50 reel> 50% work and the other 50% do not.   If you read the reviews on Cabela's and BPS's website, it sort of reflects this.  

 

I have too have the Revo Wench Gen 4 and I use it for anything heavy.  I think it would work great for anything other than fast moving topwater (buzzbaits, etc) and flipping.  It is definitely a heavy duty reel and can handle pulling out some cabbage. It would also balance nicely with a longer rod.    I picked up mine on Amazon for $150 when they had it on sale.

well that doesn't sound good. hopefully I have one of the 50% that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FishTank said:

 

I was at Cabelas last night to return/exchange a pair of Crocs

Sweet, I am gonna have to tell my daughters that there are other super cool guys out there who wear crocs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×