Hey Guys and Gals......Im trying to get suggestions on some Crank bait Combos. Whats the best reel ratio to get, Whats a good rod length and power? Will probably be throwing KVD Crank baits 1.5, also is 12lb Mono good for this application?  Help help is greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, artdav said:

Hey Guys and Gals......Im trying to get suggestions on some Crank bait Combos. Whats the best reel ratio to get, Whats a good rod length and power? Will probably be throwing KVD Crank baits 1.5, also is 12lb Mono good for this application?  Help help is greatly appreciated.

I think that your post is too general in nature.  There are a wide variety of crankbaits, and what might be best suited for one application will certainly not be for the next.  Couple this with a wide ranging opinion on type of line and strength, rod composition  length and power, reel brand and ratio and you are likely to end up with so many differing opinions that you may possibly find yourself having even a more difficult time making a decision.  I would say to try and narrow the scope of your question for the most helpful response. 

I will respond as to what I would use for the bait and details that you have given.  This is by no means the best just what I have experience with.    Mono line works well with crankbaits, has for years and years.  The smaller treble hooks can tear holes and come unpinned if the rod and line combination do not offer enough give, this is a reason why the combination of mono line and moderate action rods have been popular over the years.    Mono line also is buoyant, if you want to help keep your  shallow diving baits shallow then it may help.   Mono line is also hygroscopic, meaning it can absorb water and become less abrasion resistant with more exposure.  Line treatments like KVD Line and Lure are advertised to help with this.     Rod Length, I prefer a longer rod for casting crankbaits, something in the 7 to 7 1/2 foot range.  The longer rod aids in casting distance one of the biggest factors in time at working depth as well as depth in general.    Material is another big factor when choosing a rod, you have basically three choices each with their own merits, glass, composite or carbon fiber.   Myself I prefer composite of CF for reasons that I will leave out of this already long post.    Gear ratio preference seems to have changed significantly over the years, due to what I suspect is better gear design and efficiency.  I am probably old school in my preference of a slower gear ratio, something in the range of 5.1:1 or about 20 I.P.T.   I find this works well for most of the methods and presentations that I frequently use.     I will stop here as I am sure others will expand and give their opinions as well.  

8 minutes ago, Heartland said:

I think that your post is too general in nature.  There are a wide variety of crankbaits, and what might be best suited for one application will certainly not be for the next.  Couple this with a wide ranging opinion on type of line and strength, rod composition  length and power, reel brand and ratio and you are likely to end up with so many differing opinions that you may possibly find yourself having even a more difficult time making a decision.  I would say to try and narrow the scope of your question for the most helpful response. 

True, the only Crank Baits i would be throwing are KVD 1.5 or 2.5. i was in between 6'6 or 7'0 mh......was looking for advice on gear ratio.....i know i would get a lot of different responses, was hoping it would help me to narrow down to 1 or 2. New to Crank bait fishing.

For shallow cranks that you listed. A 6.3 reel and a MH/MF rod. I wouldn’t go shorter than 7 foot because that will affect your casting distance.

I use a 7' MM composite and a 7'2" MHF glass rod for sq bills. One has a 5:1 and one has a 6:1 reel. Sq bills are versatile and can really be fished on many different rods with any gear ratio reel, I just prefer glass and a slower reel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LonnieP said:

For shallow cranks that you listed. A 6.3 reel and a MH/MF rod. I wouldn’t go shorter than 7 foot because that will affect your casting distance.

thank you

4 hours ago, Heartland said:

I will respond as to what I would use for the bait and details that you have given.  This is by no means the best just what I have experience with.    Mono line works well with crankbaits, has for years and years.  The smaller treble hooks can tear holes and come unpinned if the rod and line combination do not offer enough give, this is a reason why the combination of mono line and moderate action rods have been popular over the years.    Mono line also is buoyant, if you want to help keep your  shallow diving baits shallow then it may help.   Mono line is also hygroscopic, meaning it can absorb water and become less abrasion resistant with more exposure.  Line treatments like KVD Line and Lure are advertised to help with this.     Rod Length, I prefer a longer rod for casting crankbaits, something in the 7 to 7 1/2 foot range.  The longer rod aids in casting distance one of the biggest factors in time at working depth as well as depth in general.    Material is another big factor when choosing a rod, you have basically three choices each with their own merits, glass, composite or carbon fiber.   Myself I prefer composite of CF for reasons that I will leave out of this already long post.    Gear ratio preference seems to have changed significantly over the years, due to what I suspect is better gear design and efficiency.  I am probably old school in my preference of a slower gear ratio, something in the range of 5.1:1 or about 20 I.P.T.   I find this works well for most of the methods and presentations that I frequently use.     I will stop here as I am sure others will expand and give their opinions as well.  

thanks for the info....really informative.

1 hour ago, Jrob78 said:

I use a 7' MM composite and a 7'2" MHF glass rod for sq bills. One has a 5:1 and one has a 6:1 reel. Sq bills are versatile and can really be fished on many different rods with any gear ratio reel, I just prefer glass and a slower reel.

thanks alot...

i've been looking at the Lew's TP-1 Black Speed Stick 7' MH....Lure Rating 3/16 to 5/8

24 minutes ago, artdav said:

thanks alot...

i've been looking at the Lew's TP-1 Black Speed Stick 7' MH....Lure Rating 3/16 to 5/8

I'm sure that rod will work but it's a fast action rod so you might want to keep your drag loose for a little extra give.