BassKicker42

ALX IKOS or New Daiwa Tatula Rods

This would be a Texas rig rod. 1/4-1/2 oz weight with creature baits and magnum trick worms. Anyone have any thoughts on either stick?

That's tough.  Both excellent rods and I'd have a tough time choosing.  For me it would come down to guides.  The new Tatula I owned had micro guides 7'6" med heavy although I was talking to a guy on the forum and he swears that some have mid- micro guides although I'd verify that if I were you.   

Why does this matter?  If you don't use braid to leader,  it doesn't.   If you do,  the guides on the 7'6" will pass an FG knot, but not well enough for my liking.   It was a deal breaker for me.   Shame,  because it was a fantastic, fantastic rod.  I was so glad Diawa went with a full cork handle and changed the reel seat on the newer Tatulas.  Much improved IMO.

The Ikos will not have this issue. 

I must say,  the new Tatula rods can be had for a good price on Ebay,  so there will be a slight difference in price vs the Ikos but not much. 

For me,  it would be Ikos Promise 7'3" vs Tatula 7'6", and again since the Tatula had micro guides,  the choice would be clear. 

I own a couple of custom ALX rods and they are great rods by a great company.  In fact I will likely own more.  If I had a gun to my head on which rods are more sensitive I may have to say the Tatula but to my hands they are real close.  The Tatula rods seem a tad more balanced (if you care about that).  Not that the ALX are what I'd call tip heavy.  But if you handle both rods side by side, you will notice a slight difference.

• Thanks 1

I’d get the Tatula as well. They’re on sale at Sportsman’s Outfitters 

I have no experience with the ALX.

I recently purchased a 6’10 Tatula in both spinning/casting and love them.  I can confirm that the guides on the 6’10” models are not a problem with leader knots like initially thought.  I use 40lb Sufix braid to 12lb Yo Zuri hybrid using an Albert knot.  

Great rods for the money and especially at the sale prices.

Tatula is $100 on Sportsman’s?!?! Wow that’s hard to pass up. Love ALX and already have an IKOS Promise 73 and love it. I’ve never owned a Tatula rod, but curiousity had me start this thread. I’m thinking about getting the 7’1 MH Extra fast Tatula or the Promise 7 from the IKOS line. All my other rods are split grip, so full cork would be an adjustment, but $100 is a steal!! I don’t tie a leader knot on my Texas rig set up so that’s a non issue. Would be pairing it with a Daiwa Tatula CT. Dang decisions. I think the price point is the kicker. 

12 hours ago, LionHeart said:

That's tough.  Both excellent rods and I'd have a tough time choosing.  For me it would come down to guides.  The new Tatula I owned had micro guides 7'6" med heavy although I was talking to a guy on the forum and he swears that some have mid- micro guides although I'd verify that if I were you.   

Why does this matter?  If you don't use braid to leader,  it doesn't.   If you do,  the guides on the 7'6" will pass an FG knot, but not well enough for my liking.   It was a deal breaker for me.   Shame,  because it was a fantastic, fantastic rod.  I was so glad Diawa went with a full cork handle and changed the reel seat on the newer Tatulas.  Much improved IMO.

I must say,  the new Tatula rods can be had for a good price on Ebay,  so there will be a slight difference in price vs the Ikos but not much. 

For me,  it would be Ikos Promise 7'3" vs Tatula 7'6", and again since the Tatula had micro guides,  the choice would be clear. 

I own a couple of custom ALX rods and they are great rods by a great company.  In fact I will likely own more.  If I had a gun to my head on which rods are more sensitive I may have to say the Tatula but to my hands they are real close.  The Tatula rods seem a tad more balanced (if you care about that).  Not that the ALX are what I'd call tip heavy.  But if you handle both rods side by side, you will notice a slight difference.

So are you saying that if guides were the same you would buy the Tatula?  $100 sounds like a steal, but then again I really love the idea of giving my business to a company like ALX.

15 minutes ago, BassKicker42 said:

So are you saying that if guides were the same you would buy the Tatula?  $100 sounds like a steal, but then again I really love the idea of giving my business to a company like ALX.

I meant to say since the Tatula guides were too small, it made the choice easy.  If I didn't use a leader knot, or they both used the same guides, it would be a super tough choice.  

The Tatula is the better performer from my experience. Tends to balance better and has better sensitivity from my experience with both series of rods. The Tatula rod is impressive. A lot of great rods to choose from. I always recommend going and putting the rod in your hand if possible as everyones preference isn't the same regarding rod selection.

Yea I’m having a really hard time ignoring the $99 price point from Sportsman’s. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2019 at 8:15 AM, LionHeart said:

Actually notice a big difference in the balance of the two. Same reel on there fully spooled and the ikos wants to go tip down. Tatula is perfect. I’m not a huge “balance” guy though. I rarely get to fish all day long so balance is less important. I’ll take the backbone and sensitivity first always.