Dwbassin

Best $175-$250 spinning rod for shakeyheads/dropshot

I know a lot of people like medium lights for dropshotting but I kinda like a medium powered. Looking for a better spinning rod than what I have 

Preference of handle material?

Tom

The Daiwa Tatula Elite  7'1" Med  Brent Ehrler stick with the AGS guide train is pretty sweet.

1979871780_Diawadropshotrod.png.450bf0ae3ff37efd79e172bbf61d8dc9.png

:smiley:

A-Jay

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, A-Jay said:

The Daiwa Tatula Elite  7'1" Med  Brent Ehrler stick with the AGS guide train is pretty sweet.

A-Jay

So I look them up here:

http://www.daiwa.com/us/contents/rods/tatula_elite/index.html

...is that the that rod that's rated 1/8oz-1oz?  That range is wild. How does it handle the lighter end?

EDIT: AH! Never mind -- this is the one, isn't it:

TAEL711MFS-AGS  DROPSHOT     M     F     7'1"     1     6-12 (6-20 BRAID)     1/8-1/2     DAIWA AGS®

• Like 1

13 hours ago, WRB said:

Preference of handle material?

Tom

I like the Eva foam or cork. Have several sierras with I believe AAA cork that I really like

3 hours ago, blckshirt98 said:

Phenix M1 MXS72M or 78M 

Elaborate on a Phenix, I was checking them out yesterday and just based off of tw reviews people seem to live them but I’ve never actually had my hands on one

17 hours ago, A-Jay said:

A-Jay

I just recently picked one up at an expo near me, except it was the 7'4" all-around version. What type of line do you like throwing on your reel? It looks like braid to a leader?

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:53 AM, Largies4Life said:

I just recently picked one up at an expo near me, except it was the 7'4" all-around version. What type of line do you like throwing on your reel? It looks like braid to a leader?

@Largies4Life

Congrats ~ I think you're going to like it.

Yes, I do prefer braid & leader on ALL my spinning outfits.

For drop shot specifically I run 10lb Sufix 832 braid with an 8 lb Seaguar AbrasX, InvisX or Tatsu fluorocarbon leader.

If I have to go lighter than 8, say 4-6 lb, I use Maxima Ultrageen Mono - for the better knot strength.

Works for me. 

A-Jay

• Like 2

On 4/2/2019 at 2:21 AM, Dwbassin said:

Elaborate on a Phenix, I was checking them out yesterday and just based off of tw reviews people seem to live them but I’ve never actually had my hands on one

It checks all the boxes for me.  That Phenix spinning rod was the first "high end" rod I ever purchased and to this day it's landed more fish for me than all of my other rods combined.  It's light, sensitive, indestructible, and being a 100% shore guy it's my jack-of-all-trades rod when I don't want to be burdened with multiple rods.  I can often just bring that one rod and be fine with it.  Dropshot, shakeyhead, Carolina rig, Texas rig, senkos, neko, ned, small topwater, and any crankbait up to 5/8 oz it'll handle just fine.  I've even thrown 3/4 oz Red Eye shads on it (though that's as heavy as I would go).  Just overall a great rod that will fish the dropshot and shakeyhead the OP was looking for, and, can be used other ways as well.

Okay, I have valuable info for future endeavors, but I got a st.croix LTB 71mf for $170 couldn’t pass that up. Thanks everyone especially @blckshirt98 For getting into detail about it. Now I’m thinking Tatula, Stradic FK or Pflueger Supreme cat to strap on it

32 minutes ago, Dwbassin said:

Okay, I have valuable info for future endeavors, but I got a st.croix LTB 71mf for $170 couldn’t pass that up. Thanks everyone especially @blckshirt98 For getting into detail about it. Now I’m thinking Tatula, Stradic FK or Pflueger Supreme cat to strap on it

Get the Tatula LT 3000 shallow spool version. It's a fantastic drop shot reel!

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, waymont said:

Get the Tatula LT 3000 shallow spool version. It's a fantastic drop shot reel!

I’ve been looking at it alllllll day lol

• Like 1