Largies4Life

Line for Finesse and Jig Setups

Good Morning All!

I recently got a 7'4" M/F Daiwa Tatula Elite paired with a Daiwa Ballistic LT and was planning on using this setup for shakey heads, weightless senkos, wacky rig, lightweight t-rigs, etc. and was curious about what line to throw on this reel. I've never used braid to leader before and am a bit skeptical. My main worry is that my knot will break. In addition, I fish a lot of stained water (visibility 4-5ft), and a lot of crystal clear water (visibility 20+ ft). My thoughts have been either go with straight fluoro, or go with braid and use just the braid in stained water and throw a leader on when I fish the clear waters. What're your thoughts/recommendations?

I also got a jig specific rod (7'2" MH/F Expride with a Chronarch MGL) and am under the same predicament. I will be throwing a lot of casting jigs, swim jigs, and football jigs primarily on this rod. I've read a lot of people on here using braid to leader again with jig fishing as well, but I am wondering if I should just go with fluoro for this rather than braid since I won't be punching heavy cover with these jigs?

What're your overall thoughts/recommendations on what pound test, brands, etc. I should go with for these setups? What do you all currently use? Thank you all in advance!

Many anglers use and enjoy flouro with great success.  I am not one of them.  There is no perfect fishing line, they all have shortcomings.  My reasons for disdain toward flouro are likely the same as anybody else that dislikes it.

My preference would be 50 lb braid for main line, not because you will need 50 lb test strength, that would be crazy, but because it's easy to see, and manage.

I'd tie on a mono leader with 10-12 lb strength for finesse and 15 lb otherwise.  If you are absolutely positive you don't want to use braid to leader, Big Game mono is excellent line and very affordable.

Back to braid and leader.  I have found that if tied properly, an FG knot is quite trustworthy.  In almost every break off I experience, the lure connecting knot is the point of failure, and even that takes a large amount of force.

The problem I feel with ta FG knot, is that most instructional videos don't stress the most critical part of the process.  That is the amount of force required the properly cinch it down.  If you want to have complete confidence in the FG, you have to cinch it HARD.  Simply wrapping the line around your fingers and giving a good tug is not sufficient.

• Thanks 1

I am not a fan of braid in general and using braid to leader even less. 

Assuming your spinning reel isn’t a 1000 size, I would try a midrange fluoro like Sniper or Invizx in like 6-8lb.  If you end up not liking it you can switch to braid and use the rest of the spool as leader. If you back your reel with tape or cheap mono you will only “waste” a cast and a half of fluoro at the worst. 

For your jig rod either heavyish braid or fluoro will be fine, each having various advantages and disadvantages. For my jig rod I use both 40lb PP and 16lb Tatsu, having two spools for my reel. I use the Tatsu when fishing around rocks or in clearer water and the PP in spots with more soft-cover and/or murkier water.  I end up using the fluoro like 75% of the time due to the braid dislike. 

• Like 2

Spinning tackle:  #6 Tatsu

Baitcasting gear:  #12 or #15 Tatsu

:fishing-026:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fishwizzard said:

Assuming your spinning reel isn’t a 1000 size.

It is a 2500 size. I might try out the fluoro to begin with and then make the switch if I'm not liking it that much.

4 hours ago, LionHeart said:

Back to braid and leader.  I have found that if tied properly, an FG knot is quite trustworthy.  In almost every break off I experience, the lure connecting knot is the point of failure, and even that takes a large amount of force.

I have heard great things about the FG knot. Maybe I'll try braid to leader on my jig rod and see how I like it.

I hear a lot of people saying the knot gets caught in the guides or the reel. Does this happen often? I don't see it being an issue with the Chronarch since it doesn't have the t-wing like some of the Daiwa reels. How long of a leader would you all recommend for jig fishing if I'm in very clear water upwards to 20-30 ft?

For your spinning set up I would recommend 15lb braid to what ever leader you like. Mono is more forgiving with knots, both to the leader and lure. As Keeper noted remember to tighten the FG know strongly. It's all I use and never have issues with it. On my 15lb braid I use 8,10,12lb line for leaders without any issues. Good luck.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Largies4Life said:

I've read a lot of people on here using braid to leader again with jig fishing as well, but I am wondering if I should just go with fluoro for this rather than braid since I won't be punching heavy cover with these jigs?

I think you will enjoy the sensitivity you gain with braid to a leader when fishing jigs. Even when using mono for a leader you will gain feeling. I usually use a pretty short leader, about 4-6' when fishing around docks, rocks and logs. One of favorite ways to fish 1/4-5/16 finesse jigs around moderate cover is with my Daiwa Tatula 6'6" medium spinning rod with 15lb PowerPro yellow braid to a 6' 12lb leader (mono or flouro). When punching, a leader isn't necessary.

I use 16 # Sniper on my jig setup. I only use braid for frogs.

9 hours ago, Largies4Life said:

It is a 2500 size. I might try out the fluoro to begin with and then make the switch if I'm not liking it that much.

I have heard great things about the FG knot. Maybe I'll try braid to leader on my jig rod and see how I like it.

I hear a lot of people saying the knot gets caught in the guides or the reel. Does this happen often? I don't see it being an issue with the Chronarch since it doesn't have the t-wing like some of the Daiwa reels. How long of a leader would you all recommend for jig fishing if I'm in very clear water upwards to 20-30 ft?

The FG is by far the slimmest braid to leader knot I know of.  It will pass through guides just fine, except for really small micro guides.  I usually run about 8-10 foot leader so the knot goes through every guide on my rod and through the reel.  

The eyelet on a standard baitcaster level wind is larger than the guides on a lot of rods I use, so no issues there.  

I also use this knot and leader length with a t wing diawa reel.  Sometimes the knot will catch on the t wing and it is annoying, but not so bad that I can't finish reeling.