Ray Macario

Grassy, algae, clear water? What’s your advice?

Hey, I’m fishing out at the Newport News Park. It’s quite a challenge for me. I tried different lures, baits, etc. nothing works for me and no bites. 

The lake air is a clear water with tall grass and floating weeds/ algae by the shore. Further out got a lot of grass. 

I tried weedless jigs with craw or bugs. I even tried simple hook to craw. At first I did crankbaits and jerkbaits but catches too much grass. Maybe I didn’t use the right color or technique. 

Whats your thought?

Sounds like a great place for a wacky rigged senko or a weightless fluke. 

• Like 3

Fished a pond today that exactly matched the conditions you described. Weed less wacky rigged stick bait was lethal today

throw it to the edges (sides, in front, and behind) those pods of floating weeds/algae.  Heavy emphasis on going weightless though to because you want that slow, undulating fall to occur smack up against those canopies where they’re stalking prey

• Like 1

Also, weightless Trick Worm and flukes.

• Like 1

I'd be using a weightless finesse worm or a weightless Senko.

39 minutes ago, Ray Macario said:

Weightless? How many lbs braided line for weightless on baitcaster? Can’t seem to cast it out far and backlashes on me

Dude, "weightless" means no added weight. You still have weight to the lures; the stick worm I prefer, for example, weighs 1/4oz. If you're casting into the wind, use more brakes or thumb.

Regards.

Weightless soft plastics or top water baits that don’t get down to the grass will probably be your only option. Try a hollow frog, or 3/8oz buzz bait. Flukes or stick baits will work as well. Twitch them on the surface then kill them in pockets in the grass. 

I cast 5” and larger weightless stick baits on 40lb and 65lb braid, depending on where I’m fishing. If you’re fishing thick grass, anything less than 40 will not be able to get a fish out of the grass. 

In my area where we have algae or aquatic vegetation along the shore the bass love to use it for cover on sunny days. If the water is clear then running a Teckel Sprinker frog over or along the vegetation works for me. If they don't go for the tail action of the Sprinker I'll try a regular frog and then a small spinnerbait, but the Sprinker usually does the trick.

If the water is stained then I run a chatterbait along the edge of the vegetation.

17 hours ago, Koz said:

In my area where we have algae or aquatic vegetation along the shore the bass love to use it for cover on sunny days. If the water is clear then running a Teckel Sprinker frog over or along the vegetation works for me. If they don't go for the tail action of the Sprinker I'll try a regular frog and then a small spinnerbait, but the Sprinker usually does the trick.

If the water is stained then I run a chatterbait along the edge of the vegetation.

That brings up another good point. If you strictly want to use power techniques, a bluegill colored swim jig with a Green Pumpkin paddle tail swam along the edges of vegetation draws some violent strikes often. The weed-guards on swim jigs makes them more  user friendly in these situations