Burke

Trailers falling off while skipping

Skipping Guru, 

The last three months, I have been practicing skipping which I am getting good at with my baitcaster for dock/trees

My issue is that the trailers would slip out or whatever when I fowl or dont get a good glide.

How do you guys make it stay - any tip that i should do or use. 

I noticed that certain trailers don't mix well with certain jigs. The Aaron Martens jigs from Picasso don't work well with Zman Turbo Craws. For some reason the holder along with the way the plastics stretch cause the bait to slide of the jig. To the point that I need to readjust almost every cast. I'm in the process now of switching up jigs and trailers to find a combo that works well. You might also want to try some of the gel super glue to get it to stay in place. I have heard of people doing this when fishing the ned rig. 

You need a jig with a wire trailer keeper. 

Look for jigs with a screw lock keeper!! i use a lot of 6th sense divine jigs, as well as a company local to me named Dem Jigs! I found the screw lock kept my plastics in place WAY better than the traditional lead knuckle or even the wire keepers. I used to play with superglue, even modified jigs to have a bigger, beefier wire keeper and i've found that a soft plastic threaded properly onto a screw lock keeper outlasts any of the other options!

I would definitely recommend a jig with a screw lock or good keeper, but if you like the jigs you have a dab of super glue will work wonders.

• Like 2

Keeper or good old fashioned super glue

• Like 1

Super glue for the win

• Like 1

I agree with the screw lock, but I also really like the Seiberts jigs Dredge dockrocker jigs.  The wire keeper and shape of that style hook really work to hold plastics while skipping.  Plus the wire tie skirt holds up very well also.  Great jigs.  

Dock Rockers from Siebert is what I am gotta get when I need more. 

Since I have several of those arky that I got ages ago. This might be a fun project,  do you guys think this will work? or should I just grab a thick paper clips and wrap it up along with super glue.  

another trick that I saw on YouTube. 

• Like 1

Wire or screw-lock keeper and/or the Owner Deep Throat hook with the reverse bend angle work well.  My go-to jighead is the Dredge Dock Rocker from @Siebert Outdoors which has just a standard lead barb for a keeper, but the Deep Throat hook with that reverse bend keeps all my trailers locked in place.  I skip jigs a ton and very rarely have to worry about trailers sliding down with that head.  

Most heads with a wire or screw-lock keeper will prevent the trailer from slipping.  

I have used the shrink tubing trick.  I had bought a bunch of arky jigs on a ridiculous deal with no keeper.  It works well and it really easy to do.  I have also seen where you tie a piece of weed guard on with small diameter braid and some super glue.  Supposed to be great as well.  Aaron Martens has a video out there about it.  I may give that a try as well.  I have over 50 of those jigs to experiment on!!  

Just got back from Harbor Fright to get some heat tubes - 

In a few days, I will attempt to try one or two to see how it looks.

Update:

Just tried the heat tube from harbor fright and it was kinda of "weak". I think I wasted 5 bucks on that. Instead, I tried yo-zuri hydrid which worked way better and feels snugged. 

I am going to test that out tomorrow evening if the weather is good. 

Thanks guys 

For a craw trailer maybe consider the BOSS Creature Skirts. They have built in Claws. No need to thread a trailer on if you don't want to. image.thumb.jpeg.58e4a154de84a6540dcc0e008187dfcb.jpeg

• Like 1

They have these fancy applicator tools that allow a small plastic disc to be placed on the hook.

It snugs up to the bait and keeps it in place.

This works better than the fishing line IMO.

A DIY version can be made with pretty much anything and I have not had to use any special tool to get them on

image.png.d9c4e665707758ec614740610d1e8c25.png

image.png.2c78fed97e60176635f281b61ee7c5bb.png

Either a jig with a screw lock like Oldham's or a small drop of super glue gel.