I will be purchasing a Dobyns Rod, either a Fury FR705CB or a FR733C it will be used mainly for crank baits. But will be looking to use it for other applications. Anyway, anyone have any options??? 

What kind of crankbaits? If you're talking lipless and squarebills, the regular 3 power for sure. It does great with those and is way more versatile for other things. That's the one casting rod of theirs I chose to keep, except mine is 6'6". It's got a great parabolic bend as it is with plenty of backbone for other things, like Senkos and light T-Rigs, lighter jigs, spinnerbaits, and chatterbaits. Just don't go trying to throw 3/8 with a paddle tail trailer. Good for the smaller Whopper Ploppers as well.

1 hour ago, Glaucus said:

What kind of crankbaits? If you're talking lipless and squarebills, the regular 3 power for sure. It does great with those and is way more versatile for other things. That's the one casting rod of theirs I chose to keep, except mine is 6'6". It's got a great parabolic bend as it is with plenty of backbone for other things, like Senkos and light T-Rigs, lighter jigs, spinnerbaits, and chatterbaits. Just don't go trying to throw 3/8 with a paddle tail trailer. Good for the smaller Whopper Ploppers as well.

733 is an awesome squarebill and lipless rod. Its also a pretty good rod for weightless flukes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Justbass11 said:

FR733C

Is a great rod for chatter baits, spinnerbaits, Jigs from 1/4oz-3/8oz, Texas rigs, squarebills, poppers. It's great all around rod.

They also make a 6'6" and 7' model of this 3 power rod.

I have the 733  use with a chatterbait . You can really feel the action of the chatterbait through the rod . Also have the 705CB I use it shallow crankbaits

The 733 is going to be one of the most versatile rods. For awhile, when bank fishing, I only carried a Sierra 703 spinning and a Champion 733. Is it ideal in all applications? Probably not. But if I had to choose to carry 1 casting, the 733 would be a great choice. 

I have both and they are both awesome rods, although the 733 may be more versatile, the 705cb is awesome for throwing crankbaits, jerkbaits, squarebills and even lipless and small top waters and the 733 is great for chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, Texas Rigs and smaller jigs along with a lot of other presentations..this is mostly what I use them for and they have been great rods.

I have a 705CB Champion and for me I was surprised at how whippy it is.  I get why it's designed that way, and yet it's taking some real getting use to. Casting release timing feels quite different than with all my other rods (including 3 other Dobyns), even another crankbait style rod (MB).  Much of that is lack of experience, I'm simply giving you my perspective.   Me personally, based on what you and others wrote above, I would get the 733...it's hard at my level of experience to go wrong with a good med-heavy/fast...the common wisdom on this I have come to accept.  Everything feels "right" on them, within the rating weight, if you're' not finesse fishing.  I have 3 fury's (other models), great rods.