pauldconyers

2 trolling motors on small boat?

My buddy has a 12 foot plastic bass boat that we are going to trolling motor on. Ideally should we put his motor on the front of the back or is there no difference? For additional speed we thought about bringing my trolling motor as well. Is there any harm or anything to consider when putting a trolling motor on the front AND that back? I can't see them somehow working against each other or causing a problem or am I wrong? If one motor was stronger than the other should the more powerful one go on the front or the back?

Add up all the weight of 2 passenger,2 TM's, 2 TM batteries, tackle vs the boat max weight capacity. Think safety 1st.

Tom

A lot of the guys i see set up for electric only and plastic boats they put the motor up front and use a rudder in the back.   I have also seen plenty of boats with a motor up front and the back.  the back they use to get to their spots and the front they use while fishing.  Definitely be cognizant of weight limitations though as mentioned earlier.  

5 hours ago, flyfisher said:

I have also seen plenty of boats with a motor up front and the back.  the back they use to get to their spots and the front they use while fishing.  Definitely be cognizant of weight limitations though as mentioned earlier.  

I plan on doing this at some point with mine but I would definitely watch the weight /weight distribution if you're going to have two people in it. If It were me it put the higher thrust motor in back but idk if there would be a significant difference. I'd also recommend a bullnose rudder for the back one.

Should be fine as long as y'all want to fish the same place.😀 As WRB said watch the capacity. 

You will see some serious electric only boats running several trolling motors. and a boat full of batteries.

It's all about whether or not you think it's worth the extra effort for not a whole lot of gain.

If you are running them on high for that little bit of extra speed, they are still going to run the batteries down fairly quickly and won't get any more run time. 

If you just used one motor, which ever is larger, and both batteries on that one motor, it might be just a touch slower, but you can run twice as long.  Now, there's two ways to go about that, the best way is to hook both batteries in parallel.  That's the most efficient way for the longest battery life, or you could run on one until it's dead, then swap over to the other.  That will not give you as long of a runtime, but gives you an idea of how much longer you have you can run, provided both batteries are of equal size and condition.

• Like 1

I run two, sometimes 3, electrics on my boat all the time- one cable steer on the front and one or two pushers on the back (each with it's own dedicated 12 volt battery).  It seems excessive except my boat is fairly heavy (17 footer with a deck) and the lake is pretty big.  And when the weather turns ugly (like two weeks ago), I don't want to dilly dally around.

They won't be fighting each other IF you rely on the one on the front to do most of the steering and the other(s) on the back is/are pushing straight back.  If not, you will likely use and waste energy fighting each other.