Crystal_

Need an electric motor for a 12ft jon boat

Hey all, father's day coming soon and I was considering getting my husband an electric motor for a used 12ft jon boat he got last month.

Currently he has a gas motor, but I heard him mention he would like an electric motor as back up and also since some state parks only allow electric.

We will be taking out the boat mainly to local river/lake.

I was thinking of getting a Minn Kota Endura C2 Lever Lock Bracket for Transom Mount Trolling Motor. Not sure which Thrust, I heard someone say once you can't never have too much power, so I guess it depends on which one can afford..

Which one would you suggest for his type of boat and considering this:

don't think he cares too much about it going super fast but I do want to point out that one of our local rivers is pretty big and deep so would like something that can handle such waters, even though he takes precautions and drives it near and doesn't really go too far in, just simple cruising fishing trips less than 5 hours, with his wife and toddler.  

Thrust=

30 $110

45 $200

50 $215

55 $245

Thanks!

I started out with a 30 lb on my 10 foot Pond Prowler. It worked fine when the water was calm but if it got windy and the water was choppy it felt like i was sitting still when moving. I upgraded to a 55 and I'm much happier now. A 55 only goes under 1 mph faster than a 30, but you can really feel the difference in rougher water. I would go 55 if you can afford it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, LonnieP said:

I started out with a 30 lb on my 10 foot Pond Prowler. It worked fine when the water was calm but if it got windy and the water was choppy it felt like i was sitting still when moving. I upgraded to a 55 and I'm much happier now. A 55 only goes under 1 mph faster than a 30, but you can really feel the difference in rougher water. I would go 55 if you can afford it. 

Thank you!

I was aiming for the 30lb mainly because it was cheaper but read somewhere that it may be an overkill for a 12ft jon boat. But I wouldn't mind investing some more if it means a better and safer performance, honestly just would like something that will get him around with out breaking down or anything like that, and suitable for an amateur in a big river :D

Think I'll go with the 45 for now, hopefully that one will do. Not even sure if he will like the electric one more than the gas, so think 45 may be ok to start off, he only takes the boat out every now and then probably once a week, and we live in the east so whenever the weather permits. 

The 45 will work just fine.

• Like 1

Where are you? I Have an unused still in box 55 that id give you for $100 plus shipping.

• Like 2

One thing to think about is the hook up. Will it be hooked to a battery direct or is there a plug for the trolling motor and then wiring going to the battery? A boat that size you would need for it to be a 12 volt motor. Any thing else would require two or more batteries.

• Like 1

Thank you Volfan, that would have been a great deal that I wish would have seen sooner

I ended up buying the 55 since I just found out his boat is actually 14ft not 12ft.

Thanks  Logcatcher, I believe this one is 12volt so that's good to know!

• Like 1