Jump to content

Sebago Lake, Maine area


Recommended Posts

Hello all,

 

I am heading up to Sebago Lake, Maine the week after 4th of July. I have heard many fixed feelings on how great/bad the lake is for smallmouth. I really want to go to a lake and catch good sized smallmouth. Has anyone heard if Sebago would be a good choice for good Smallmouth? Or would anyone recommend other lakes in the area to fish instead of Sebago? 

 

I appreciate any responses. Thanks in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spent a week there many years ago. Can't recall much about the fishing. I know I caught a few. But what I do remember is the place was a zoo! A lot of boat traffic and I'm talking big boats!  It will be very busy on the water, especially in July. Give it a shot, you can always move on. There are many lakes and fishing opportunities throughout that area. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Don51 said:

Spent a week there many years ago. Can't recall much about the fishing. I know I caught a few. But what I do remember is the place was a zoo! A lot of boat traffic and I'm talking big boats!  It will be very busy on the water, especially in July. Give it a shot, you can always move on. There are many lakes and fishing opportunities throughout that area. 

I’m used to boat traffic. It’s no huge deal to me. But, I appreciate the feedback! It’s appreciated. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jigfishn10 said:

Honestly, if you're up that way, spend an extra hour's drive and go to Cobbosseecontee Lake. Much better fishery IMHO and not as crowded.

 

https://www.lakesofmaine.org/lake-overview.html?m=5236

Are there good numbers of big smallies in there? I really want to find big smallies. I don't care for Largemouth all that much. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

if you are looking for smallies you might want to try the androscoggin river. started fishing it last year for them and caught many and big. i fish from a kayak and have a lot of luck. lived on sebago many years and fishing around rocks around shoreline and islands is a good bet. BUT- 4th of July time is not a great time to be trying to fish it because  of the holiday.lot of boats and noise. had some great luck in cobbessecontee stream all ready this year on largemouths. androscoggin 

has been ready cold and discolored because of runoff and rain. got 1 monster smallie but not much else 3 weeks ago.little sebago might get you some smallies or thompsam lake in otisfield, range ponds are good.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, CHIP-MAINE said:

if you are looking for smallies you might want to try the androscoggin river. started fishing it last year for them and caught many and big. i fish from a kayak and have a lot of luck. lived on sebago many years and fishing around rocks around shoreline and islands is a good bet. BUT- 4th of July time is not a great time to be trying to fish it because  of the holiday.lot of boats and noise. had some great luck in cobbessecontee stream all ready this year on largemouths. androscoggin 

has been ready cold and discolored because of runoff and rain. got 1 monster smallie but not much else 3 weeks ago.little sebago might get you some smallies or thompsam lake in otisfield, range ponds are good.

Thank you for the information. I’m really looking to catch Smallmouth. And hopefully big ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sebago Lake during July 4th weekend will be like a zoo. I’ve been out there during that week when it’s like an ocean from boat traffic... Not a single sign of wind and would be calm if it wasn’t for the boat traffic. A wonderful thing about that area of Maine.. There are so many options. Personally I’d choose a more of the beaten path lake to cut down on the boat traffic. You’d probably have better fishing too. Sebago can be very mean that time of year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mainebass1984 said:

Sebago Lake during July 4th weekend will be like a zoo. I’ve been out there during that week when it’s like an ocean from boat traffic... Not a single sign of wind and would be calm if it wasn’t for the boat traffic. A wonderful thing about that area of Maine.. There are so many options. Personally I’d choose a more of the beaten path lake to cut down on the boat traffic. You’d probably have better fishing too. Sebago can be very mean that time of year.

I'll be going the week after 4th of july. I really don't mind boat traffic! I just want big smallies. lol I heard Sebago has some big ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super User

Several locals have given you good advice, you should take it, regardless of what you heard.  They speak the truth and I can attest to it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NHBull said:

Several locals have given you good advice, you should take it, regardless of what you heard.  They speak the truth and I can attest to it

I’m not discrediting any of the locals info. Nor am I saying that I’m not going to listen to them. I asked for feedback from guys who have fished Sebago and I respect their feedback. I’m just stating that I’ve heard of guys catching good fish out of there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zachh Nute said:

I’m not discrediting any of the locals info. Nor am I saying that I’m not going to listen to them. I asked for feedback from guys who have fished Sebago and I respect their feedback. I’m just stating that I’ve heard of guys catching good fish out of there. 

Fished Sebago a bunch grew up 25 min from the ramp. Fished many tournaments out of there. If you want big smallies  there are better places. If you want to catch 2 to 2 3/4 lbers then Sebgao isnt bad. Sometimes it’s a struggle to even catch those fish. Even during the spawn there aren’t many big fish on beds. Every year there is atleast one big tourney in september. If you average 2 1/4 lb smallies you are in the money. Big smallie over a two or three day smallie is usually around 4 1/4 lbs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Mainebass1984 said:

Fished Sebago a bunch grew up 25 min from the ramp. Fished many tournaments out of there. If you want big smallies  there are better places. If you want to catch 2 to 2 3/4 lbers then Sebgao isnt bad. Sometimes it’s a struggle to even catch those fish. Even during the spawn there aren’t many big fish on beds. Every year there is atleast one big tourney in september. If you average 2 1/4 lb smallies you are in the money. Big smallie over a two or three day smallie is usually around 4 1/4 lbs. 

If Sebago isn’t known for big smallies, where locally would be? You said there are better places. Thank you for the info!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Plenty of better places. Have a look at Maine.gov. There are good depth maps and write ups for most bodies of water in the state. Personally my biggest smallies have come from Vermont. Biggest Maine smallie ever caught... an 8 lber came from Thompson Lake not to far from Sebago. IMO the best smallie fishing is much further north of of Sebago and much further east.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Sebago was tough. I caught a lot of smaller fish. Nothing huge. Then I went to Thompson Lake and struggled to catch quantity. But, I did catch multiple 3 pounders. I struggled a little due to the super clear water and 0 wind and sun. I don’t have much experience fishing with those conditions. I fished from 15’ all the way to 40’. I’ll be back up this time next year!! Thank you for all of the tips!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

At least you found some fish! Toying with the idea of hitting it the beginning of Sept. after the crowds thin out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Don51 said:

At least you found some fish! Toying with the idea of hitting it the beginning of Sept. after the crowds thin out.

Just a head up. The first couple weeks of September there usually are a lot of boats practicing for the Reynolds’s Marine open. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/14/2019 at 12:30 PM, Zachh Nute said:

Sebago was tough. I caught a lot of smaller fish. Nothing huge. Then I went to Thompson Lake and struggled to catch quantity. But, I did catch multiple 3 pounders. I struggled a little due to the super clear water and 0 wind and sun. I don’t have much experience fishing with those conditions. I fished from 15’ all the way to 40’. I’ll be back up this time next year!! Thank you for all of the tips!

Hit me up before you do; I'll take you out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

just started hitting smallies on androscoggin river.  still running high, cold and no weed growth. largemouths on cobbeseccontee stream have been phenominal. have only been able to get out 5 times, mid day even. want  to get out just before dark with top water.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Smokinal said:

Hit me up before you do; I'll take you out

Wish i knew while i was up! lol. It was a tough bite for me.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Digging up this old thread. I don’t know the lake very well but I really want to take a trip up there.  
 

For salmon, I assume the main lake has the biggest fish?  Is it easy to catch them?  Are they sizable?  What are on the big lake would be best to target salmon?

 

As for trout, I know there are a lot of other lakes connected to Sebago.  Which one would be best for trout (ie Bandy pond, Long lake or Sebago itself).  
 

And for smallies and largemouth, which of these 3 would be best.  
 

Im thinking about getting an Airbnb on the water and renting a boat, and want to be close to the action without having to travel too far on the boat.  What body of water would be best?


Also, can you travel by boat from Long lake, through Brandy, into Sebago?  If so, how long is the trip?

 

Thanks folks.  
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

@bitsandbass

On 10/6/2020 at 1:12 PM, bitsandbass said:


Also, can you travel by boat from Long lake, through Brandy, into Sebago?  If so, how long is the trip?

It is navigable from Long Lake to Sebago through the Songo Locks and visa versa.  I haven’t gone through them so you’ll need to research If there’s restrictions at certain times of year etc.  I’ve heard it’s free flowing at times (during fall/winter I assume)  and I’m not sure how long it takes but with all the twists and turns, and the locks, I’m sure it takes a little while. 
 

On 10/6/2020 at 1:12 PM, bitsandbass said:

 

For salmon, I assume the main lake has the biggest fish?  Is it easy to catch them?  Are they sizable?  What are on the big lake would be best to target salmon?

I’ve Fished for salmon on Sebago a few times, haven’t gone home skunked.  Not sure where you’re from,  but we’re talking about Maine/ and probably most of New England—if your not connected to the Great Lakes. So in my opinion and experience, the salmon(and most rainbow fisheries) sizes are somewhat comparable to the bass up here. 1-2lbs is common, 3-4 is Great, 5+ exceptional.  There’s no doubt there is exceptional fish In Sebago,  of all varieties,  but I wouldn’t expect trophies without putting a lot of time in. 
 

Most of my experience looking for salmon/trout in lakes is in the spring or later in the fall.  Steep drops to deeeep water preferably near tributaries, deep water bottlenecks, are good places to start, Sonar is pretty much a must-have if you’re new to an area.  Assuming you plan to troll
 

start a thread in the “other species” forum if you need anyone to elaborate on gear, techniques, etc

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



  • Outboard Engine

    Outboard Engine

    fishing forum

    fishing forum

    fishing tackle

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.