I just got some tackle in the mail that I'd forgotten I ever ordered - it had some Megabass Dark Sleepers and frogs that were backordered at the time (probably the Dark Sleepers are what held it up 4 months).  At any rate, this little jig, and I mean little jig, is what I'd like some advice on.  This particular one is 1/8 oz and the hook is probably like a 2 (not 2/0, that's a nickle beside it for comparison sake).  It has the vertical line tie about perpendicular to the long axis of the hook.  So it's similar dimension-wise to a SK Bitsy Bug as I remember, but it's been a while since I tried one of those.  I'm going to be on a shallow river (South fork of the Shenandoah) this Saturday and wanted to try this bait out.  Here are the things I'm considering:

1. Should I glue in the brushguard?  As I remember, I got plenty of bites on the Bitsy Bug, but didn't my hookup ratio was so bad that I quit using it after a couple of hours.  Looking back, the brushguard might have been the problem.  By another token, the brushguard might keep this thing from getting snagged every cast.  I do a lot of what I call 'drift casting' along the riffles that I fish this time of year, and the current has a way of sticking your baits/hooks into any conceivable crevice, stick, or piece of vegetation.

2. Should I use a trailer?  I also remember using a small grub on the back of the Bitsy Bug, and considered that might be my problem for the hookup.  When I took off the grub, the bite died off, which may have been the time of day or the part of the river I was fishing.  I stuck the grub back on and fished it for a while, but don't remember the bite returning, and I think I just put that bait down and went back to a Senko (my go-to at that time).  I'm wondering whether a jig like this will even work without a trailer.  I've only used hair jigs without something as a trailer.

Thanks for any suggestions you have, especially if you've used this particular bait.

Missle_baits_micro_jig.png.1a2cc97df842d2657e555883eb532053.png  

I picked up a pack of those jigs. Haven't used them much but I did opt for gluing in the brush guard. It's pretty light so I dont think it should cause hookset issues.  I would say these are definitely smaller than a bitsy big jig, especially the hook. For a trailer I've been using the Tiny Paca Chunk and I think it looks like a pretty good combo.

• Like 1

@DSTN, thanks.  I use a Paca chunk on my finesse jigs a lot of the time, but I don't think I've ever used (or seen) a tiny chunk.  Have you landed any fish with that combo?  Just thinking, that would really simulate the small crawdads younfjnd in the river.

I haven't fished that exact jig, but I make a tiny jig of my own that I use frequently that is similar. I make mine with 1 or 2 strands of fiber weedguard and that seems to be plenty to keep it from snagging without interfering with hook ups. I always use a trailer, my favorite being the 2 3/4" YUM craw papi with a little of the bait trimmed off to fit. I believe it's ISG that also makes a tiny chunk trailer that fits perfectly on them. This is an 1/8oz jig next to a quarter for scale. 

No photo description available.

The hook on the Bitsy Bug isn't great, and was likely a big part of why you were having issue hooking fish on it. 

• Like 3

I haven't given the jigs enough time to get any fish on them yet but I think it's only a matter of time till I do.

The head on yours looks a little different and I can't tell if yours has a bait keeeper, but it looks a lot the same, @Bluebasser86.  The weedguard that came with it has 7 strands, but @DSTNconvinced me to glue them on anyway, and I think there's some wisdom in that.  I can always cut a few strands or the whole thing off on the river.  I ordered some of the tiny Paca chunks yesterday hoping to have them for the trip, but in spite of paying three times the going price on Amazon with Prime shipping, I got notification last night that they'll be here next week.  So small grubs is what I have. If this jig works out, I may get a couple more and try the small Yum craw @Bluebasser86 mentioned too.  I've used the regular sized one before noon a T-rig and had some decent luck, it could be all the bite juice that they put on them.  I'll let you all know how it worked out.  Thanks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I haven't fished that exact jig, but I make a tiny jig of my own that I use frequently that is similar. I make mine with 1 or 2 strands of fiber weedguard and that seems to be plenty to keep it from snagging without interfering with hook ups. I always use a trailer, my favorite being the 2 3/4" YUM craw papi with a little of the bait trimmed off to fit. I believe it's ISG that also makes a tiny chunk trailer that fits perfectly on them. This is an 1/8oz jig next to a quarter for scale. 

No photo description available.

The hook on the Bitsy Bug isn't great, and was likely a big part of why you were having issue hooking fish on it. 

What other brand jig do you recommend that has a better hook than the bitsy bug? I haven't used it much but plan on throwing one in the creek soon.

9 minutes ago, TBAG said:

What other brand jig do you recommend that has a better hook than the bitsy bug? I haven't used it much but plan on throwing one in the creek soon.

Depends on the size you need. The Bitsy Flip has a much better hook but doesn't come in the smaller size that the regular bitsy does. Terminator makes a nice one with a good hook, as small as 1/8oz, and a small weedguard. They're also priced right.

• Like 1

This bait was made in mind of using a Ned rig bait like Missile Baits Ned Bomb or similar like zmans trd although I’m sure a tiny realistic craw would be perfect.  It’s pretty much in line with zmans Ned rig jig but tested by John Crews/Mike Iaconelli. I’m pretty sure you want to use the same equipment and retrieves you would using a Ned rig. It just gives the fish a different look

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, paulmandude said:

This bait was made in mind of using a Ned rig bait like Missile Baits Ned Bomb or similar like zmans trd although I’m sure a tiny realistic craw would be perfect.  It’s pretty much in line with zmans Ned rig jig but tested by John Crews/Mike Iaconelli. I’m pretty sure you want to use the same equipment and retrieves you would using a Ned rig. It just gives the fish a different look

It does look like a Ned rig jighead I use (Owner Blockhead), but even though the head of the jighead is lighter, the hook is at least a 1/0, maybe a 2/0, I don't remember.  This micro jig has a tiny hook; I'm going to say a size 2.  I plan to get some small craw chunks, but if there's nothing else that looks better in my plastics binder, I may try a TRD worm or something.

17 hours ago, paulmandude said:

Micro style jigs have been around a long time, way before the Ned rig became popular. I know because I've been making micro jigs for close to 20 years. They are in a similar situation the Ned rig was in before Z-Man exposed it to the masses. A lot of anglers have been using micro jigs (1/32oz - 1/4oz depending on head style) for years but it isn't talked about much. There are clubs throughout NY, PA, and NJ that have winter tournaments and I'm guessing that is where Iaconelli learned the technique since it is basically used in cold water but also a tactic for clear and/or pressured water. If you don't overpower that bait using heavy line, rods, and reel they will catch fish and not just numbers. The smaller light wire hooks will not bend out when using the proper tackle but remember, the weed guards are light too, so you aren't throwing them into heavy cover. In fact the weed guard is basically there to keep the small heads from getting wedged in rocks and light brush. There are trailers made for this style of jig but they are usually Japanese and are a little pricey.  http://www.leesglobaltackle.com/category-s/177.htm

• Like 1

@smalljaw67, I was planning on putting on a 7' ML spinning rod with a 6 or 8 lb flurocarbon leader and braid mainline (I think 12 lb, but I'd have to go look at the original spool, I just know it's yellow).  I went out to the shop last night to see what kind of trailers I had on hand because what I ordered didn't arrive.  I didn't have much, just some grubs that I could use for panfish.  The way I plan to fish them, I was thinking the weed guard would just keep them getting pushed into something by current.  If you see any flaws in my plan or anything else that might help, please let me know.  Thanks.