KraskiBass

How To Remove Hooks from a Catfish

Does anyone has tips or tricks on how to remove this special hooks for catfish? I'm having such a hard time removing these particular hooks :(

1 minute ago, KraskiBass said:

Does anyone has tips or tricks on how to remove this special hooks for catfish? I'm having such a hard time removing these particular hooks :(

Don't know what hook you are referring to specifically, but the easiest way (besides a J deehooker) is to grab the hook with needle nose as close to the point as possible, turn so the point faces down grab the line with the other hand, and shake down and up solidly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BassWhole! said:

Don't know what hook you are referring to specifically, but the easiest way (besides a J deehooker) is to grab the hook with needle nose as close to the point as possible, turn so the point faces down grab the line with the other hand, and shake down and up solidly.

Oooops my bad...here is a pic.

hook2.jpg

Works everytime 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, KraskiBass said:

Oooops my bad...here is a pic.

hook2.jpg

Yeah, those are silly. They are kahle hooks, and marketed as catfish hooks, fluke (summer flounder) hooks, wide gap bait hooks, and other things. I haven't found anything that works better than Gammy octopus for catfish, as well as most other bait applications.

I use Kahle hooks for catfish a lot with cutbait. Use a pair of pliers and a firm jerk and the hook should come right out if you're getting them in the corner of the mouth like they usually do. You can pinch the barb down to make removal easier, they're not going to throw the hooks without it that they wouldn't have thrown with it.