Sam

Bass Fishing Jargon

We have had a few posts in the past about bass fishing jargon and sometimes how we can get into trouble by using specific bass fishing jargon with others who do not fish. It can be deemed offensive and I know you all can come up with a lot of funny examples.

But this post is about Zach Joachim of the Richmond Times-Dispatch sports department who puts together the weekly Fishing Report from around the Commonwealth. Zach is not a bass fisherman and he covers other local sports for the newspaper.

So when I read today's report I got a kick out of the misspellings of some of the words in the Chickahominy Lake report. Here they are:

CHICKAHOMINY LAKE

…with a seven pointer… should be with a seven pounder…

…had with Sinco’s… should be …had with Senkos…

…chatter baits… should be …Chatterbaits…

…and pop and bugs… should be popping bugs…

I sent the corrections to Zach and suggested he hire a guide to take him out bass fishing so he can learn the jargon, etc.

Just sharing what I thought was a funny report by someone covering bass fishing without any basic knowledge of the sport. Zach will learn the jargon and the sport as time goes by.

• Like 2

Kinda like calling soccer "football".

Excited Courteney Cox GIF by Friends

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is amazing how much mis-information is spread in newspapers & online by people reporting on things in which they are ignorant.  I used to bowl quite a bit and if any tournaments were written up in the paper, the terms they would use and the description of what occurred would be way off.

There is a term which escapes my mind right now about the following phenomenon: You read an article in a newspaper about a subject you are well versed in and spot numerous errors.  You know the article and reporter are not knowledgeable in the subject, so you dismiss the article as being not credible.  Then, on the next page of the paper, is a different article on a different subject in which you are a bit ignorant.  You accept that article at face value.  Same paper, same staff, yet you give them credit for being knowledgeable in area B even though you just found them to be ignorant in area A.  Human nature is funny.

It is good to remember that you don't know what you don't know...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

OCdockskipper,

it’s called the Gell-Mann amnesia effect.  It’s also called “Wet streets cause rain” because cause and effect are so often confused.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2019 at 4:30 PM, Sam said:

But this post is about Zach Joachim of the Richmond Times-Dispatch sports department who puts together the weekly Fishing Report from around the Commonwealth. Zach is not a bass fisherman and he covers other local sports for the newspaper.

At least Zach has a good excuse.  I see similar 'spellings' from Art Conway, Charlie Taylor and even on Steve Chaconas' reports...which he may not write personally

BTW, whatever happened to the DGIF reports?  I didn't realize they'd stopped until you posted this

No idea about what happened to the DGIF reports.

Probably asked the newspaper for some $$$$ for them and the RT-D refused.

The Shadow Knows.