Sign in to follow this  
Newman12Fan

Free boats cost a lot of money!!!

I was given for free a 14' jon boat.  I have decided to spruce it up - new paint, decking, etc.  So far I have priced out what I would want on it as far as: Trolling motor, batteries, battery charger, fish finder, ancor system, and seats.  This is already going to cost me over $1,000 and I have not even looked at paint, decking material, carpet, etc!

I love when free stuff makes you go broke!!!

Full-bore retail is usually cheaper than "free".

That goes for just about everything, not just boats!

8-)

now...buy all that stuff and a new 14 foot jon boat. you have that 1000 plus the 1000+ for the boat depending on what boat you get.

Yeah my 9' $400.00 pond prowler cost an additional $400.00 for good seats, fish finder, anchor, proper plug, marine silicon for drain fitting, etc....

I love it but feel like I'm getting nickeled and dimed on everything. Beats shorefishing by a country mile though.  :D

Its just a money hole in the water ;D

I'm sure you will enjoy it :D

I love it but feel like I'm getting nickeled and dimed on everything. Beats shorefishing by a country mile though. :D

Couldn't of said it better.  my $500 16ft fiberglass Chrysler cost me about 1,500-2,000, but it's a fishing animal now. Way better than beating the bank

Any boat costs money.

I have invested double in my small boat than what I initially paid for it.

A foot-Controlled Trolling motor, a quality battery, and not too mention a charger will set you back at least 400 bucks. Plywood, Bracing, Carpet, Adhesive, Deck Screws,Waterseal. It all adds up.

Of course, you don't have to get everything done at once. Get it licensed, run the boat on the lake, evaluate the trailer, motor and boat from top to bottom. If the lights are shot on the trailer, replace them. Check the grease in the bearings.  If the tires are dry-rotted, don't take the risk and replace them. You can usually find a Trolling motor that fits your needs on the many fishing forums as well as Craigslist or watch the sale ads at your local BPS or Cabela's.

It can be an expensive investment. I went at least $500 over my budget when putting my current boat together.  At the time I wondered how much more is it going to cost? The boat was ready for the water and fishable in March.  Since then a new depthfinder was added, the carb was worked on, and a bilge was added. And to think I still have to buy a new/used prop due to the previous owner beating it up.  Boats are not cheap, but they are enjoyable and an excellent learning experience. Best of luck!

Luckly I do not have to worry about a trailer.  I have a permanent camp site on a 50 acre lake with a dock, it will not leave there.  So one less thing that I have to worry about!