Sign in to follow this  
Ldavis

Lowrance 520c or 522c

Is there any difference in the 520c and the 522c besides the 522 having a internal GPS? Also I have heard that the internal system GPS untis lose there signal if not mounted upright. Anybody own one? I would like to put one on the bow but am concerned about it losing the signal if I lean it back to see the graph. I am a GPS newbie so I think the 522 would be easier to install. Thanks for any help.

Wish I lived near a Academy Sports as I heard they were have them on sale for $399 or if someone wants to help me out shoot me a message  ;)

I see the 522 is on sale for $499 in the latest BPS sales flyer.  Can't help you on the differences between the 2.

Ldavis you are correct.  The only difference between the 520 and the 522 is the internal GPS antenna.  I have a 522 mounted to the right of my console and have never had a problem with loss of signal.  When funds allow, I'm going to mount another 522 on the bow.

Thanks for the heads up on the BPS flyer. I am trying to gather some info on the unit before I get one. I hope they have some left at the BPS in VA.

The 522 can not be tilted very much and still pick up sats.  I think you should get a 520 for the bow.

The tech people told me for the best performance the unit should be mounted so the antenna is perpendicular to the sky. With that advice I went with the LMS 520. I flush mounted it so it's also out of the way.

I dn't have the 520c or the 522c but I do have the 334c which is the predecessor to these units.  My 334c has the internal gps and i haven't ever had a problem losing signal.  Also I would advise you to use a ram mount so you can adjust where the unit is so you can see it better or put it at an angle you like.

I bought a 520c for the bow of my boat last year. I decided against the 522 so if there was ever a problem with the internal antenna I wouldn't be down the sonar and gps while it was in for repairs. I've never heard of anyone having any problems with the 522, nor do I forsee one, it was just an ease of mind that I wouldn't be down both at the same time.