Hybrid hair spinnerbaits, thoughts

Bdnoble84

Made two hybrid hair spinnerbaits. (targeting river smallies) 1st one is hula style featuring the hair more. Should the skirt be more strands. I cant decide how i feel about it. I almost palmered in marabou instead of the chenille. Idea is to have flow and pulsation underneath the skirt. 

i also tied a full spinnerbait with zonker trailer. Kinda feel like the zonkers could have been longer. But it looks good.

44C5195C-5306-4C1A-96A1-D395520E19B6.jpeg

D5A47113-4CA7-4F1B-B142-0AB67766DC7C.jpeg

EFE18A93-CA50-4090-A9D7-D63EAC0BE979.jpeg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Finessegenics said:

They look great to me. I'd buy them! Maybe add more silicone strands, it does look a little bare. But I have no idea how that would affect the action of the hair underneath. 

Just took it out. Granted water was stained so couldnt get a great look, but i felt the skirt was just right, i could see the hair undulating underneath. Also the top is clear hologram so that helped.

that is the other one i tied. Zonkers need to be longer. Ended up cutting the skirt all the way up to the hook bend.

3D54C591-09E3-41C7-B1D6-CAF25D54FCD1.jpeg

• Like 3

• Super User

I’m sure they’ll work. I think you did a great job. Heck, they already caught us Anglers here and you didn’t even make a cast yet, lol.

I was planning to do something similar to my spinnerbaits when the current skirts need to be replaced. 

It will definitely work. I have been using Nate's Custom Baits for almost a year now. Certainly something the fish haven't seen a lot of.

https://natescustombaits.com/?fbclid=IwAR1cOYMaHMtBuO1DrJpzHx4gJMK02XSZT8QPCebeUzE6MCyKeLM4K1Bglek

Fire_Craw_-_Casting_4000x@2x.progressive (1).jpg

8 hours ago, Big Swimbait said:

It will definitely work. I have been using Nate's Custom Baits for almost a year now. Certainly something the fish haven't seen a lot of.

https://natescustombaits.com/?fbclid=IwAR1cOYMaHMtBuO1DrJpzHx4gJMK02XSZT8QPCebeUzE6MCyKeLM4K1Bglek

Do you put a trailer on that?

19 hours ago, Big Swimbait said:

looks good for clear water largies as well.

• Like 1

• Super User

This materials will pulsate but not at spinnerbait speeds.  The beauty of fly tying materials is the action when not moving as much.  I tie a lot of flies with marabou, rabbit, synthetic hairs etc...and the pulsing action you can get but it isn't as good at high speeds.  

8 hours ago, flyfisher said:

This materials will pulsate but not at spinnerbait speeds.  The beauty of fly tying materials is the action when not moving as much.  I tie a lot of flies with marabou, rabbit, synthetic hairs etc...and the pulsing action you can get but it isn't as good at high speeds.  

Maybe not pulsing so much as having a flow to the material that you dont get with silicone. I think atleast from my perspective its a bit of a package deal. The silicone provides bulk and body while hair/ feathers give the bait a natural/ subtle flow that makes it appear more alive.

• Like 1

Rabbit strips absolutely will pulsate at spinnerbait speeds.  That's why I like using them, they impart a nice "wavy" action on a straight retrieve.  Cool concept but I am not convinced that it will be an improvement on a standard spinnerbait.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Black Hawk Basser said:

Rabbit strips absolutely will pulsate at spinnerbait speeds.  That's why I like using them, they impart a nice "wavy" action on a straight retrieve.  Cool concept but I am not convinced that it will be an improvement on a standard spinnerbait.

I agree, im not really sure if there will be an advantage, especially at normal speeds. Where i really could see it shining is for slow-rolling compact baits for finicky/ cold water fish. 

• Like 2