13 Fishing Concept A2

Hey Everyone! Has anyone used the 13 Fishing Concept A2 at all? I have been looking for a versatile reel that has some power with it for putting on my 7'2' Heavy Fast action. The Concept A2 has 25 pounds of drag but also can cast lightweight lures I've heard. Based off what I've seen it has almost no bad reviews. Just wanted to hear any reviews about it from you guys in case I go to purchase it. Thanks!

• Super User

My brother has 2 Zs and and Z3. Loves them. My buddy has an A2. Loves it. They're both large humans with large hands. The reels are small, but the frame ergos are unique. You should hold one first to make sure it's comfy.

2 hours ago, blackrain said:

Don't have the A2 but own and have fished two A's for over three years. Love 'em. We'll see if they last as long as my Daiwas and Shimanos but so far they work like the day I got em.

Same here. I have a few different 13 reels and enjoy every one. Never had any issues with them.  

• BassResource.com Administrator

Bear in mind a lot of "reviews" are from their prostaffers, including some people that post on these forums.  Not all of them disclose this information.

Not sponsored by them or anyone but I had great experience from the A and C and the original Z models. The older ones all had aluminum frames and the side plate was still attached when you opened it to adjust the brakes. I fish 5-7 days a week and had to oil the brake ring a little more frequently than other reels. I just prefer the slp reels or I'd probably still be using 13's for everything. 

• Like 1

Its graphite plastic reel.  25lbs of drag is meangless in bass fishing.  Even if you are dead lifting fish into the boat a reel with that frame material is not the one I would want to being doing that with if I even wanted to that (I don't).  I don't see the appeal of this reel other than maybe inshore use because the body won't react with the salt.

4 hours ago, Tatulatard said:

Its graphite plastic reel.  25lbs of drag is meangless in bass fishing.  Even if you are dead lifting fish into the boat a reel with that frame material is not the one I would want to being doing that with if I even wanted to that (I don't).  I don't see the appeal of this reel other than maybe inshore use because the body won't react with the salt.

It's an aluminum frame, the C2's and the Z SLD are plastic frame reels. I highly doubt a 5-10lb bass would stress a plastic frame anyways. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phil77 said:

It's an aluminum frame, the C2's and the Z SLD are plastic frame reels. I highly doubt a 5-10lb bass would stress a plastic frame anyways. 

So they do have a gen 2 aluminum frame reel.  Shame they all aren't aluminum.  I do believe boat flipping a bass is going to "stress" the frame as in flex it.  I can go to every display graphite reel at my cabelas and press the top of the frame down until frame touches the top of the level wind by hand.  Grab a reel, look at the small gap between the level wind and frame, then press down with both hands on the frame and you can see the sliver of light between the two disappear as frame touches level wind.  This is my test to see if a reel is aluminum or not. Can't budge the aluminum reels.

I use one on my frog combo, I'm no expert so I don't know if the drag technically helps me at all, but for me its great to get them out of the weed. The lake I fish the most is very weedy and I feel that I can winch them out easier. Also, I really like the knobs. 

On the other side is pretty heavy compared to the shimanos that I normally use. I would not use it for anything else as for a few extra dollars you can get a better shimano or daiwa, but for frogging it has worked great for me. 

• 1 year later...