Sign in to follow this  
David P

Revo SX vs New Curado

I'm looking for anyone that has BOTH or at the very least, used BOTH.

Which do you like better?

I'm very fond of Shimano, and leaning toward the Curado, BUT, I have been hearing such great things about the Revos that I can't fully make up my mind..

Also found the Viento for $150. So I'm really torn between 3 reels.

This is going with a MBR844C Gloomis GLX Mag Bass rod for jigs only.

I don't know much about the NEW Curados, but I had a Curado SF for some time (if that counts).  It came highly recommended.   It was a decent reel.  My problem with it was that it was noisy and 'whirled' when it was cranked.  The side plate had to be removed to adjust the brakes.   The little tab that had to be folded down to remove the side plate felt very flimsy.  I was never able to get long casts out of it.

I currently own 2 Revo SXs and 2 Revo SCs.  The SX (and SC) is much smoother and quieter than my old Curado.  I'm able to cast it much further.  And I can adjust the brake without taking the sideplate off.  

I'll never say Shimano doesn't make good reels - I know they do (I love my Shimano spinning reel).  But my experiences with baitcasters (1 Curado and 2 Cardiffs) were not positive.   The reels were adequate, but I felt they were overpriced for the features and performance they offered.   On the other hand, my Revos perform so well that I might have paid more for them.  I also had the opportunity to deal with Abu Garcia customer service when I admittedly buggered up a screw on one of my Revos, and they had a new screw out to me in a few days for free.   They were prompt and professional - which made me feel even better about my Revo purchases.

I have all three reels (well, I have the Revo SC instead of the SX). Here is my opinion on all three. I like the Curado 100D, but I don't like the Curado 200D. The Curado 100D fits nice in my hands and is matched with my GLX 7'5" Senko Rod. Great set-up. The Curado 200D is just a little too big for my comfort. I purchased the Revo SC, because I wanted a higher ratio reel that fit nice in my hand. I use this reel on my jerkbait rod and am very impressed with it (especially since it is the least expensive of the three). It is very comfortable in my hand and seems to be build very solid. I have two Daiwa Vientos that I use on my soft plastic rods (one of which is a G Loomis 843C and the other is a G Loomis 844C). The Viento casts very well and balances very well on my 843 & 844. It is an overall great reel, but I don't use the twitching bar very much. I think I like the Curado 100D the best, but all three reels are great and you will be happy with anyone you choose.

I have all three reels (well, I have the Revo SC instead of the SX).  Here is my opinion on all three.  I like the Curado 100D, but I don't like the Curado 200D.  The Curado 100D fits nice in my hands and is matched with my GLX 7'5" Senko Rod.  Great set-up.  The Curado 200D is just a little too big for my comfort.  I purchased the Revo SC, because I wanted a higher ratio reel that fit nice in my hand.  I use this reel on my jerkbait rod and am very impressed with it (especially since it is the least expensive of the three).  It is very comfortable in my hand and seems to be build very solid.  I have two Daiwa Vientos that I use on my soft plastic rods.  The Viento casts very well and is an overall great reel, but I don't use the twitching bar very much.  I think I like the Curado 100D the best, but all three reels are great and you will be happy with either one.

What if you were using the Viento for jigs? Obviously I would be using the twitching bar, I can hop a jig without moving the rod! That's why I'm even considering it, otherwise I would.

I have all three reels (well, I have the Revo SC instead of the SX). Here is my opinion on all three. I like the Curado 100D, but I don't like the Curado 200D. The Curado 100D fits nice in my hands and is matched with my GLX 7'5" Senko Rod. Great set-up. The Curado 200D is just a little too big for my comfort. I purchased the Revo SC, because I wanted a higher ratio reel that fit nice in my hand. I use this reel on my jerkbait rod and am very impressed with it (especially since it is the least expensive of the three). It is very comfortable in my hand and seems to be build very solid. I have two Daiwa Vientos that I use on my soft plastic rods. The Viento casts very well and is an overall great reel, but I don't use the twitching bar very much. I think I like the Curado 100D the best, but all three reels are great and you will be happy with either one.

What if you were using the Viento for jigs? Obviously I would be using the twitching bar, I can hop a jig without moving the rod! That's why I'm even considering it, otherwise I would.

I do use the Viento for my jigs and I use the twiching bar every once and a while, but I guess I am used to using the rod for hoping the jig.  For $150, the Viento would be a great deal.  I had my Viento for 2 years now and it has been through the ringer (including going into the lake) and is still working great.  I actually haven't serviced it yet (don't tell Reel Mech this) and it is still smooth as can be.

I have 3 revos, the S, SC, and SX.  Fished with the curado, never laid hands on a Viento.  IF it was me to do it all over I would of gotten 2 SC's at the Cabela's price now and not gotten a SX.  FOr the price I have not seen a reel that is nicer and you could have a backup or extra reel.  JMO though.

Honestly, $79.99 for a reel that is practically the same (Minus a few things) as the SX for $150 I might get to SC's.

i want another reel for crankbats/jerkbaits (Could I also throw spinner baits or is the ratio too high? anyway, I sorta wanted a reel for that. Maybe I could get to almost for the price of one SX. I have another rod that needs a reel in the closet anyway.

Just curious. Do you notice a big difference in the SX vs the SC?

Ok, well I got the curado, I didn't want a 7.1 reel.

Got a brand new curado 100d for $150.

I have new (this year) a Curado 200 and a Revo STX, I definitely like them both but the Shimano is my favorite.  It seems to be a lot "tighter", although I agree with other posters that the swing-away side plate to adjust the brakes can be a real pain in the azz.  The Shimano is a much better pitching reel, if you're going to be using this for jig fishing does that mean you'll be doing mostly pitching/flipping right in the cover or are you going to be using it for deep water where you'll be casting?  The Revo is a much better casting reel.  My belief why the Revo casts better (less backlash problem when casting, more backlash problem when pitching) and the Shimano pitches better (less when pitching but more when casting) is because the different braking systems, magnetic brakes are better for casting and centrifugal brakes shine more when the spool speed doesn't get real high.  So you have to ask yourself how will I most use this reel?

I find both reels to be comfortable but they are also both different, that being said,  after using the Revo for an hour or so it's almost like a hand massage when I pick up and start using that Shimano.  

Honestly, $79.99 for a reel that is practically the same (Minus a few things) as the SX for $150 I might get to SC's.

i want another reel for crankbats/jerkbaits (Could I also throw spinner baits or is the ratio too high? anyway, I sorta wanted a reel for that. Maybe I could get to almost for the price of one SX. I have another rod that needs a reel in the closet anyway.

I have 2 SC's and an SX,  during actual fishing conditions I can't tell the difference between the two except the color.  

As for the Curado vs. Revo comparison.  I've never fished with a new Curado though I've sold a few.  Spec wise, they're heavier. If you go with the 100 series you lose the weight but you also lose the line capacity and some people, like myself, find the size a little too small when palming the reel.  

Both are fine reels though.  The Revo SC is probably the best bargain going in fishing right now.  With the rebate, which I believe is now over, you could get the thing for $70.  Not bad.  Even at $90, shipping included, it's still a deal.

Revo SX > Curado

I don't own a Curado, however I have used one. I do own an SX and SC and I'll take the Revo's over the Curado. (just my opinion)

Performance wise, I haven't noticed any differance between the SX or SC. I wish the Cabela deal was available when I got my SX because I would have two for the price of one.

Falcon

I'll go with a Revo SX too.

The new Curado, like the old Curado, you still have to take the reel apart every time you want to change your settings.

I like Daiwas a lot but the Viento is the the one I would recommend in front of the Revo.

Good luck.

I ended up getting both guys. Curado 100D and Revo SX.

I'll let everyone know my thoughts.

I don't like having to take the Curado apart to adjust it, but I love the size. The Cuardo fits to my hand PERFECTLY, and the Revo is a tad bigger.

I'll see which one I like better.

I have 2 SC's and an SX,  during actual fishing conditions I can't tell the difference between the two except the color.  

As for the Curado vs. Revo comparison.  I've never fished with a new Curado though I've sold a few.  Spec wise, they're heavier. If you go with the 100 series you lose the weight but you also lose the line capacity and some people, like myself, find the size a little too small when palming the reel.  

Both are fine reels though.  The Revo SC is probably the best bargain going in fishing right now.  With the rebate, which I believe is now over, you could get the thing for $70.  Not bad.  Even at $90, shipping included, it's still a deal.

I dont' like the SC just because because it's a high speed reel. Otherwise I would have purchased 3 in a heart beat. I would have rather gotten 3 of those, then I coulda got another loomis rod  ;D But because of the high speed, I passed. Not sure if it's worth paying the extra $80 just to have a different ratio and a few minor changes. But we'll see.

I'll go with a Revo SX too.

The new Curado, like the old Curado, you still have to take the reel apart every time you want to change your settings.

I like Daiwas a lot but the Viento is the the one I would recommend in front of the Revo.

Good luck.

But how often do you really change anything?  On a reel with a magnetic brake, perhaps often.  But with centrifugal brakes, I set them when I buy them and never touch them again.

One of the reasons I despise magnetic braking systems.

Hmm...

Maybe I ought to check that side plate on my Calais. I set the brakes back in 2001 when I bought the reel. Recently I started throwing some Mattlures Baby Bass on a couple of rods saddled up with CTE200GT equipment. I didn't even know the side plate came off! With some instruction from ReelMech (thank you) I adjusted my brakes for the first time in six or seven years. I had one brake on, but found two were a little more user friendly with heavier lures.

Guess I don't understand the problem with Shimano's system. 8-)

I agree with the last couple of posts, when I first got my Curado I was trying to adjust the brakes whenever I changed lure weight.  Lately I just leave it alone (I think they're all "on"??) and it works weather I'm pitching, throwing spinnerbaits, or throwing a Moss Boss.  Like I said in my other post, the Curado wins this match-up in my opinion.

I love both reels, they're good in different ways, and I enjoy the Curado on my loomis rod, and the SX on my Gblanks rod.

They're both very good reels, the Curado fits my hand a bit better, but all and all, they're both awesome.

AS for the breaking system. I use only one reel for a specific application (3/8oz and 1/2oz jigs almost exclusively with my Curado, so there will be no need to change the breaking system up).

I have all three.  IMO, I can rate them as follows:

Easy Casting: Curado > Revo > Viento

Drag system: Revo > Curado > Viento

Durability: Revo > Curado > Viento

Lightness: Curado > Viento > Revo

Value for money: Revo > Curado > Viento

I have all three.  IMO, I can rate them as follows:

Easy Casting: Curado > Revo > Viento

Drag system: Revo > Curado > Viento

Durability: Revo > Curado > Viento

Lightness: Curado > Viento > Revo

Value for money: Revo > Curado > Viento

I got a Revo  and Curado, so I guess I got the best 2 out of the 3.

Curado is on my jig rod, and my Revo is on my more multi purpose rod.