Sign in to follow this  
ThomasL

Not to rehash the loomis worth but...

This isn't meant to bring back whether loomis rods are better than others but let me tell you what happened.I told everyone in the locked post that i had won the ebay bid on a fenwick techna av rod for 100.00,well i received the rod last friday,a one piece that arrived in two pieces... :),yes the rod arrived broken and usps had a label on the box stating it arrived to them this way... :-/I kinda wonder why they even left it at the house and not refuse shipment but now i am in the process of hashing it out with the ebay store boondocks trying to get it resolved,at first they claimed i hadn't bought a rod from them until i gave the ebay number of me winning the thing.A note the rod was shipped in a flemsy cardboard triangle tube that a match could have came out of and on top of that i took the rod out to look at the tag which read made in china... :) :-?Will probably have to bite the bullet on this one and go on and order a imx loomis like i should have now that loomis will actually end up costing 315.00 :oinstead of 215.00.

NO MORE RODS BOUGHT ON EBAY BY ME,PERIOD!

i used to buy stuff off ebay... then i realize everything i got sucked or was fake...

I like Fenwick rods, but my main problem with them is that most are made in China.  The same goes for Shimano rods.

I don't see why "Made in China" is necessarily bad. The "keep Americans employed" and patriotism stuff aside, there is no reason good products can't come out of China. Most Chinese manufacturers build things to the specifications of the designers. Many Chinese plants are really only assembly lines building things with parts supplied to them.

I have some American made rods and some Chinese made rods. I like them all.

I've recently purchased a Johnny Morris Elite 85 million modulus rod with Recoil guides that seems to be very highly regarded by various reviewers. It's made in China. It's got the best cork on it I've ever seen on a rod regardless of price. It's got 9 guides + a tip (my best American rods have 7 + tip). The thing is feather light. It's also gorgeous to look at. I've got high hopes for it (haven't used it yet).

Rule out too much stuff because its Made In China and you'll end up missing out on some truly great stuff.

Isn't it interesting.

Our biggest trading partner is probably our worst enemy.

Why is that?

For hundreds, maybe thousands of years, the Chinese have been thought of as hard working, industrious, family orientated people. Today they don't get all the headlines, but they seem to support all of our enemies and attempt to undermine the United States at every opportunity.

I don't get it.

I'm not sure I really care where things are made, as long as they meet all of the specs that are claimed.

It doesn't seem to me that making a fishing rod or reel should be effected by the country of origination as long as the quality control is in place. I believe that is the general complaint. It's not the fault of the Chinese workman, it's the American, Japanese or German companies that own the plant.  

Isn't it interesting.

Our biggest trading partner is probably our worst enemy.

Why is that?

For hundreds, maybe thousands of years, the Chinese have been thought of as hard working, industrious, family orientated people. Today they don't get all the headlines, but they seem to support all of our enemies and attempt to undermine the United States at every opportunity.

I don't get it. <<<<<< I knew u would see the light i said this back a few months ago in different words .And made a comment a few days ago about recalls from Chinese made toys/appliances etc ...Quote: i have nothing against Asian Americans they are in the USA because of what is going on in Asia anyway so i was told by a few that i know personally  Chinese AND Korean.. 97% of the ppl are mere peasents

I'm not sure I really care where things are made, as long as they meet all of the specs that are claimed.

It doesn't seem to me that making a fishing rod or reel should be effected by the country of origination as long as the quality control is in place. I believe that is the general complaint. It's not the fault of the Chinese workman, it's the American, Japanese or German companies that own the plant.

Its not so much that its the Chinese's fault.  I'm sure they can actually produce quality goods.  The problem is the 'race to the bottom' mentality that we insist that they follow when we buy products from them.  We insist that they produce more goods each year for less money, and to do that they cut corners.

The whole dog food thing was due to them trying to increase the protien % in their food by substuting urea, a trick that origniated here but was quickly done away with.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_protein_export_scandal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine

I just think the demands that American corporations are putting on them in many ways force them to cut corners, on top of the fact that there are billions of them so the relative value of human life and individuality (arguably the cornerstones of our culture) is limited.  So its not only them, but the companies that so willingly ship jobs and manufacturing over there to save some money, avoid environmental protections, and labor laws.  Its not so much that I don't want to support the Chinese, I don't want to support the companies without any soul.  I vote with my wallet.

Just my thoughts.

Well all reasoning said i went and ordered a imx yesterday,will package the broke rod sent to me since ebay is no help and send it to fenwick for a new one then its sold to recoupe money on the loomis...

As i said no more rods from ebay... >:) :)

ThomasL,

I would hate to see one transaction ruin your eBay experience.  If you purchased through paypal dispute the charge and they will be forced to work with you on it.  They will not get there money until it resolved.  Also when purchasing rods on eBay check to see how they intend to package the rod.  Most of the people that care about what they are selling will ship it wrapped in bubble wrap inside of a pvc tube.  And they will also tell this to you in the auction.  I have purchased all of my St. Croix Tournament rods and one GLoomis rod on eBay and have not had one problem.  In fact I have my eye on a magnum cranker for sale on there now.  Anyway good luck.

Jerrod