Sign in to follow this  
jwo1124

Reel type for technique

I must confess I have not came close to reading all the articles bass resource has to offer. I did although come across this lately. Got it right off this site.

"There are many different types of bait, presentations and techniques used today in the sport of bass fishing, and the reel selection mostly depends on what is the most comfortable for the angler. Now, please don't take this the wrong way because I am not going to say that you have to use a certain reel for certain applications, but I will tell you what works the best for me. I personally use a baitcasting reel about eighty percent of the time because I feel that I have much more control at casting and hook setting in addition to comfort than the others mentioned. I like the thumb control on the spool with a baitcasting reel because it allows me to stop the bait on a dime when it comes to accuracy. I also like the power in the retrieve, especially when it comes to horsing big bass out of vegetation and different structured areas. However, I like the spinning reel for vertical fishing and making casts with lighter baits. Here are the reel applications I mostly use for the following:"

Flipping and pitching - Baitcaster

Texas rigged plastics - Baitcaster or spinning

Carolina rigs - Baitcaster

Crankbaits - Baitcaster or spinning

Top water - Baitcaster

Spinnerbaits - Baitcaster

Soft jerk baits - Baitcaster or spinning

Drop shot - Spinning

Really makes me second guess just using spinning gear in bass fishing. Seems like the only time I should use a spinning reel in bass fishing is with dropshots, weightless plastics, and small crankbaits.

The fact that most prefer baitcasters over spinning reel means absolutely nothing, they have the idea that baitcasters are better and that 's it. Eurpean anglers have been fishing with spinning reels for everything and anything for a very long time, fact is, most of them prefer spinning over baitcasting.

I 'm a moderator in a Spanish bass forum, 2/3 of all the members fish with spinning reels.  ;)

The fact that most prefer baitcasters over spinning reel means absolutely nothing, they have the idea that baitcasters are better and that 's it. Eurpean anglers have been fishing with spinning reels for everything and anything for a very long time, fact is, most of them prefer spinning over baitcasting.

I 'm a moderator in a Spanish bass forum, 2/3 of all the members fish with spinning reels. ;)

Personal preference, nothing more.

For me it's like this:

Power fishing = Baitcasting gear

Finesse baits  = Spinning tackle

Lightninrod took the words right out of my mouth.

Falcon

Spinning equipment definitely has it's place in our pursuit of bass and I wouldn't be without mine on any given day.  I would hedge my bets that a large majority of us subscribe to Roadwarriors applications.

Slight variation to RW's post - power and where I am trying to be very accurate - baitcaster.

I do like a very stiff spinning outfit for throwing very lite surface lures in weeds and pads.

Eddie

I keep it simple.

8lb test or less = spinning gear

10lb test and more = casting gear

Accuracy doesn't enter into the equation. I'm as accurate with one as I am with the other. Except for the first cast or two when I switch from one to the other. That first cast may go anywhere. I usually make the first cast, after switching, into open water, just to get the feel. Then I'm good to go.

Cheers,

GK