Sign in to follow this  
luckyinkentucky

Berkley Cherrywood Rods

I ran into a buddy tonight at my local lodge, and he said he switched all of his BPS rods for Berkley Cherrywood rods from Wal-Mart.   :-?  Are they really good rods, or what?  I can get them for $20 right now, and didn't know if I should buy a few to try them out.  What do you guys think?  

He also mentioned that he bought some Lightning Rods to fill the gaps.  What do you guys think about Berkley?  Do they compare to BPS?  

I would have to say that they are an upgrade to an Ugly Stick. They are light, they get the job done & they are cheap. Cherry Woods are a bit more sensitive than an Ugly Stick, granted that the Ugly Stick is made by Shakespeare.

I have a 7' spinning rod that I've caught a 9 lb steelhead trout on. No problems, it was the perfect action, medium action, but it's more like a ML. Check the actions out on the Cherry Woods, they are a bit softer than other mfg's actions...BPS would be one of them.

I like the new Lightning Rods, but I don't like that they don't have as many guides as some other rods do. But both the Cherry Wood & the Lightning Rods have stainless steel eyelets & that has very good line feel. Since both rods are made "cheaper", if they added on ceramic guides it would kill the feel of the rods. The stainless steel eyelets is what makes both these rods, good sensitivity w/ braided line.

I would try one out first, make sure it's the action you want. You can buy 5 Cherry Woods for the price of one BPS Extreme rod. Also, the Lightning Rod, some people have mentioned that you do not want to overtighten the grip turning handle to lock in your reel. They have a tendency to bust easily, so you don't want to torque down too tight.

I picked up a 5' Cherry Wood today from Wallyworld. It says that it's light action, but more like UL, & that's what I am looking for. I have another rod that is light action & it is totally different action, that it's truly a light action rod. The Cherry Wood light action as I have mentioned is more like UL.

I also have a 7' baitcasting rod, it's medium action, but feels more like ML.

I would use braided line w/ either rods so you have good hook setting w/ the softer actions.

i have used several cherrywoods and they work well, but i prefer the berkley bionix over the cherrywood...they are 50 bucks at walmart....also...FYI...the cherrywoods do not have real cork handles...they are some kinda foam cork look-a-like material

Cliff

I have had about 5 Cherrywoods, I would rather use those than an ugly stick.

The new Lighting rods are great for a 30 dollar rod and it would be worth 10 bucks more for the

LR IMO

I also have a Berkley Tactix drop shot rod and it's ok, not as sensitive as I thought though

You've got to spend the extra $10 and get the Lightning Rod.  My dad wanted to start fishing with me, and he only fishes with a spinning reel.  He gave $100 and told me to buy the best combo I could for the money.  It had to be available at Walmart or Academy, because that was what was local, and this combo had to do everything.  I went with a 6'6" medium power Lightning Rod paired with a Shimano Sahara.  I spooled it up with 12lb Pline CX premium, and he throws worms, cranks, spinnerbaits...the whole box with this rig.  It's a nice little outfit...and I was surprised at how much rod you get for $30 with the Lightning Rod.  IM7 blank...good cork...and the thing is surprisingly light.  I'm not ready to trade my Loomis's for L-rods, but they are a great value at $30.

I have several Cherrywood and Lightning rods, they were all I could afford for a while. Berkley makes an excellent inexpensive rod for those who cannot or do not want to shell out $100-$400 on a rod. Most of my more expensive gear is for baitcasting, so if I spin, it is usually with a Lightning or Cherrywood rod. And since I am learning to fish plastics, it is usually the 7' M Lightning with a AB Cardinal 3. Another plus about the cost is replacement for "personal misshaps". As I fish the bank/shore alot and am climbing through brush, over rocks, etc, I find that I don't like dragging a $300 rod throught this.

I ran into a buddy tonight at my local lodge, and he said he switched all of his BPS rods for Berkley Cherrywood rods from Wal-Mart.   :-?  Are they really good rods, or what?  I can get them for $20 right now, and didn't know if I should buy a few to try them out.  What do you guys think?  

He also mentioned that he bought some Lightning Rods to fill the gaps.  What do you guys think about Berkley?  Do they compare to BPS?  

Go put a G-Loomis in your hands and you will forget about all these other rods...

I ran into a buddy tonight at my local lodge, and he said he switched all of his BPS rods for Berkley Cherrywood rods from Wal-Mart. :-? Are they really good rods, or what? I can get them for $20 right now, and didn't know if I should buy a few to try them out. What do you guys think?

He also mentioned that he bought some Lightning Rods to fill the gaps. What do you guys think about Berkley? Do they compare to BPS?

Go put a G-Loomis in your hands and you will forget about all these other rods...

If you could send me the link for 20 dollar Loomis rods we would all appreciate it.

** MODERATOR NOTE **

mayassa,

Your post does NOT contribute to this thread. Let's stay on topic.

-Kent  a.k.a. roadwarrior

Global Moderator

My first rod after getting back into fishing was a Cherrywood baitcasting. I still have it and probably should use it more. I cought a lot of fish on it coupled with a Quantum Mantra BC.

Selling all BPS Extreme's for Cherrywoods seems a little well "extreme"

Go with one and see how you like it, lets face it for $20 you can't go wrong. If you don't like it give it to a cousin or a youngster or save it as a backup.

As far as Lightining rods I have 2 ML 6's that I love for bass, crappie and for Bluegill. A couple of times a year at Gander Mountain and poss BPS I used to be able to find the older series on sale for the same price as the Cherrywoods ($20).

Whatever you decide come back to this thread and wright a review.

If you could send me the link for 20 dollar Loomis rods we would all appreciate it.

Now thats funny and on topic. :)

The funny thing is...me, Raul, and I'm sure a few others paid $60-$100 for Lightning Rods almost 20 years ago that weren't as good as the $30 '07 model is.  My how technology has changed!