Sign in to follow this  
Guest muddy

Spending some time salt water fishing :REEL?

Guest muddy

Hey Fellas: i have been spending some time salt water fishing since i am visiting Brooklyn more and more these days, and now there is a possibility of me moving back home next winter! Anyway I fish off the docks there and also off the rocks into the ocean for schoolie Stripers and small bluefish (From Snappers to Cocktail blues) I am looking for a good salt eater spinning reel around the 50 dollar mark , especially interested in an OKUMA product;SUGGESTIONS please. i have not fished salt water for years and have no expertise in this area. Thanks!

Muddy,

I have used some of Okuma's lower end reels. It was the Avenger 50 series as matter of fact- $39. I used it for two seasons and sold it to my buddy and he is on his third summer using it. He has caught several King Mackeral in the 20# range and it has held up fine. If I were going to buy another I would get the Epixor which is the next level up. I belive you can score them for around $59 to $.69

Big T

Guest muddy

Thanks Big T I was already checking out the Expieor. How do you know if a reel is saltwater capable?

Muddy you have PM.

Sealed Bearings and no Magnesium Spools (supposable)  

How do you know if a reel is saltwater capable?

Unscramble The Code letters: O-N-A-M-I-H-S

http://fish.shimano.com/catalog/fish/products/category.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302036590&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181270&bmUID=1194291481255

Access each category for saltwater safe reels.

How do you know if a reel is saltwater capable?

Unscramble The Code letters: O-N-A-M-I-H-S

;D ;D ;D ;D

You can get into a Penn Captiva for around that price.

Penn power graphs are great reels for the money.  If you want, you can take one of mine when you come up in a few weeks :o

Guest muddy
Penn power graphs are great reels for the money. If you want, you can take one of mine when you come up in a few weeks :o

One of the guys in Brooklyn just told me he has an extra Okuma and a Penn reel to get rid of, I will see him Sun when i am there thanks anyway LBH.Save it for a kid 8-)

Whatever you end up buying the reel needs to have metals that are compatible to the corrosive salt water environment or you will have severe corrosion problems.

Wash the reel after using it in fresh water, do not use high water pressure, just run it under the faucet or take in the shower with you. Shake off the excess water and let it dry, before putting it away.

Okuma mid and upper price range reels are very good and should perform well for several years with care. The Okuma products are very popular with the west coast salt water kayak fisherman.

WRB

Penn power graphs are great reels for the money.  If you want, you can take one of mine when you come up in a few weeks :o

I have 3 power graphs. you're right, great reels!

Penn power graphs are great reels for the money.  If you want, you can take one of mine when you come up in a few weeks :)

One of the guys in Brooklyn just told me he has an extra Okuma and a Penn reel to get rid of, I will see him Sun when i am there thanks anyway LBH.Save it for a kid 8-)

I WAS!!  ;D :):o