Sign in to follow this  
5bass

Experienced crankers, please read/respond

I finally broke my old Browning Spiral crankin' rod that I've had for about 20 years.....I'm sad to see it go. The upside is that I get to buy another rod!

I'm wondering what others use for shallow and medium cranks. I may try one of the composite rods since everyone is raving about them but I'd like to know what you're currently using and maybe some others I should look at.

I do alot of underhanded and roll casting so a short handle is a 'must have'.

You know what my answer is going to be.  How short of a handle?  7-9 inches?  Would you be willing to go 10 inches?

You know what my answer is going to be. How short of a handle? 7-9 inches? Would you be willing to go 10 inches?

That's so wrong... :-/

This guy rolls and underhands more than anyone I've ever seen.

You know what my answer is going to be. How short of a handle? 7-9 inches? Would you be willing to go 10 inches?

That's so wrong... :-/

This guy rolls and underhands more than anyone I've ever seen.

Burley, you ain't right.  ;D    Here ya go 5BL, this is the one I busted doing something stupid about two months ago.  Good rod and not too expensive.  Perfect for medium and shallow cranking.  Now I have to get another.   :-[

http://www.kistlerrods.com/p/KR/c-gp-crankbait-fishing-rods/KCBS7.html

7" would be a stretch and I wouldnt want a handle longer than that.....6" would be more like it. Too much handle just gets in the way with the casting I do. I underhand and roll because I'm constantly throwing under docks and tree limbs.

You want something like a pistol grip, or a straight handle that has been modified to a shorter length? If you want a pistol grip I can help you out. :) I have a rod that I had a Lew's speed spool on that I only used about 3-5 times. It is still brand new and has been setting on my rod rack for two years collecting dust. BPS Crankin Stick 6'6" Med action. Yours if you want it. :)  The Lew's is not for sale though.   ;D

Ha! No, I have a couple pistols but I want a short straight handle like the one I just broke....I think its handle was 6.5"....perfect for what I do. I still use the pistols but I like the short straight handle when fighting bigger fish. I may just have to buy a longer handle and saw it off....that will make it a custom rod.  

you could have a cusom stick made .... reel mech /// makes a killer stick for a resonable price .... he uses croix blanks and can make any handle ;D

I've got a couple rods I could use for that purpose.

First is an old BPS IM6 Bionic blade pistol grip med/fst.  I use it mostly for topwater but have thrown smaller cranks on it for up close and in tight crankin.

Second is a BPS Crankin stick, 6' Med.  The handle is around 7".  Just enough to get both hands on the end of it.  

I've never tried any of the specialty crank rods before but the BPS crankin sticks are about as nice a feel in a crankin rod as I've used.  Nice give in the rod and the rods load nicely to get smaller baits out.

At around $30 - 40 when on sale, they're worth at least a look unless you can't stand the power hump grips.

One more I can think of.  An old All Star BCM-6 Classic.  I've used this guy for tossing small cranks, jerkbaits and 1/4oz spinnerbaits.  Great little roll caster rod with around a 6-6.5" grip.  Nice action.  Feels good in the hand when casting and working smaller baits.

I use my 7 foot Kistler with the 7:0 Curado for a fast retrieve.

I can slow down the Curado for a slower retrieve.

I just love it.

You can cast far; reel fast or slow; and have the power for a good hookset.

I also use this rig for Chatterbaits, spinnerbaits and buzzbaits.

Guest muddy

Hey FBL, A guy a fish with fishes Cranks on the Susquehana like every day. He uses a lot of Shimano rods and Pflueger Reels ( I know thats sacraligious here ::) ) but anyway he uses this Browning Silaflex to throw his deepest running baits.I dont know what a roll cast is but this is what he uses and you said your last favorite was a Browning. I threw a bait a couple of times with it, it seemed heavier than what I am used to, he explained the rod os fiberglass Here is a link to BPS , Hope this helps.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_58485_100002006_100000000_100002000_100-2-6

I have a brown fiberglass 6' 2 Silaflex Magnum PT-110 from the 1960's that once belonged to a well known doctor in the area. It's prior to Browning. When I got it, it had the most unique handle I've ever seen. The handle was cork, and it had an stage adjustment to make it go from straight to pistol style (I believe 3 settings). Although unique, the handle was not comfortable, and the tip was replaced. I gave the rod to a rod builder friend and asked him to replace the metal guides and replace the handle with a slight bend pistol style semi straight handle. He was shocked by what I wanted done. He told me the rod had some real value the way it was in its original form, and didnt want to do it. I said I would rather be catching than collecting and wanted it done (yeah I know stupid). Well he made the changes and did a great quality job. After he finished the conversion, he asked me if he could fish with it in a couple of BASS (co-angler) events down in Florida as he was a big time cranking guy. He said it was the best cranking rod he ever used, and had to get one for himself. I just don't use it much anymore, and would like to see it go to someone who appreciates something that nice and classic. I have the original handle in a box somewhere, just have to find it.  FBL... Any interest?

Guest muddy

Hey ZEL It is in your garage Right behind the basketball net set, the air hockey board, the 4 tv's

the tackle box, the rod with the broken tip, the 2 bags of Senko knockoffs, you power drill, your old house phone and underneath the table with 3 legs, in the old BPS rod tube

Well, for under $100 you can get the Loomis blank of your choice, then ReelMech can put on the EXACT handle and guides you desire. Best of both worlds. ;D

, then ReelMech can put on the EXACT handle and guides you desire. Best of both worlds. ;D

Try a Seeker E or S glass, get a blank or the rod.

Zel, I'll take a look at it, it sounds like a real relic and I'm fond of fiberglass crankin' rods. That handle sounds very interesting too.

Hey ZEL It is in your garage Right behind the basketball net set, the air hockey board, the 4 tv's

the tackle box, the rod with the broken tip, the 2 bags of Senko knockoffs, you power drill, your old house phone and underneath the table with 3 legs, in the old BPS rod tube

Muddy... Oh yeah... the northeast corner of the garage.  ::)  But I thought you had the rod tube.   :)

FBL... I'll post some pics as soon as I figure out how to upload pics off my wifes digital camera.

there is a lot of hoopla in texas about Hendrix rods.  custom made for around $150.  i dont own one yet but the research i have done it is a top notch rod

arruis xl rod is my spinnerbait and crank rod

6'8" interchangeable handle extensions u can take out or add to the lenght u want

they run about 150

Did you consider the Lamiglas SR705R?

fivebass, Check out Setyr rods. I have a 6'6" medium spinnerbait model that I believe is too soft in the tip for any spinnerbait over 1/4oz. It is however a very fine crankbait rod, unless you want one for deep cranks. It would not be suitable for that.

All graphite, extremely light weight, split grip, no fore grip, short handle, lifetime warranty, Amercan company, American made blanks, American made rods. Just what you asked for.

They also have crankbait models. I haven't tried one. YET.

I also have a 6'6" MH model that is just right for spinnerbaits, but a little too stiff for cranks.

The soft tip of the medium power rod almost feels like a glass rod, it's that soft. It loads very easily to cast small cranks, but the power is there. The first bass I caught ended up surfing becasue I over compensated for the soft feeling tip section. It transitions smoothly into plenty of backbone.

I have two now, I'll be buying more.

worth a look

Cheers,

GK