Sign in to follow this  
tallydude

Advice for new baitcaster

Alright, I'd like to get a new baitcaster soon. Right now, all I have is an older Shimano Curado that New2Bass is letting me borrow, plus a BPS megacast combo.

As BassnBlvd can attest, I still have backlash issues (especially with lightweight lures and wind) so I need something that can help with that.

I'd like to keep the cost to under $150. I also need a LEFT HAND RETRIEVE, right hand not optional. I plan on using it for spinnerbaits and crankbaits, so I'm thinking I'll need a faster ratio.

This will be my first major reel purchase, so I'd really appreciate any advice you guys could help me with.

Thanks always,

Jason

Abu Garcia Revo SC sounds like a good choice, it has your 7.1:1 gear ratio you are looking for. Also, the revo's seem to be a favorite on these forums :o

Oops my mistake, that reel doesnt come in left hand retrieve but the Revo SX does:P $149.99

:-*LOVE :-* my 200D Citica! Almost positive they have a lefty :-/. If you are using an older Curado (never used one myself), have read that the "new" Citica is at least a match for it in performance and maybe more...

As Ever,

skillet

The citica 200 does come in a left model.  Why the heck the 100 doesn't, beats me.  I love the 200 all the same.

My only complaint is that it is a tad on the heavy side at 9.9 oz.  

Some guys love the revo's and some trade them in for citicas and curados.

Your backlash with lighter baits could be a few things.  My guess is that your rod is to heavy for the lure.

Good Luck!

You might  want to look at  the daiwa TD advantage super tuned it comes in a left hand model.  It  had good reviews on tackle tour.  It comes in 6.3:1 gear ratio.  I wouldn't go with anything more high speed for crankbaits.  The price is around $150.  TDA153HSTLA (left hand retrieve)

I'll vote for the Pflueger President. A few on here claim the braking system on the BPS Johnny Morris reel is really good. It's on sale right now for a pretty good chunk of change off. You get the choice of 6.4:1 or 7.1:1 in left hand. The new Daiwa Tierra has the Z backlash system. That's an awesome system. That one get's my vote too.

:-*LOVE :-* my 200D Citica! Almost positive they have a lefty :-/. If you are using an older Curado (never used one myself), have read that the "new" Citica is at least a match for it in performance and maybe more...

As Ever,

skillet

Actually, spec for spec, the Citica blows the Curado BSF (green) out of the water in every category except weight. It is still a great reel though. HE Gearing, Dartanium Drag, Quick Release latch that stays on the reel, a lower reel foot just to name some. Before this you had to get a chronarch for such features and now you get it in a Citica for $119 and a Curado BSF was $149 lacking those things.

I have both the old and new curado. Well, I had a green curado. I forgot my daughter claimed it as hers after her first cast with it when she was 6 1/2.  ;D

To the subject the revo or citica would be the two I'd choose from.

You might want to look at the daiwa TD advantage super tuned it comes in a left hand model. It had good reviews on tackle tour. It comes in 6.3:1 gear ratio. I wouldn't go with anything more high speed for crankbaits. The price is around $150. TDA153HSTLA (left hand retrieve)

x2

I will be buying a couple in January.

Guest avid

TD advantage super tuned is a great reel.

I would stay away from the ultra high speed 7:1 ratio's only because as someone new to baitcasting you will no doubt experiment with different lures and may end up not using the reel as first intended.  Trust me........6:3 is plenty fast enough.

I would also take a look at Pflueger.  I'm not as familiar with their reels as I am with Daiwa, but I have owned a few over the years and fer sure they make a fine mid price point reel.

the Citica blows the Curado BSF (green) out of the water in every category except weight.

I hated the Curado BSF.  For me it was a horrible caster and a noisy reel.   Some poeple loved it, though.

Westpalmdude, if you want a reel with a mechanical brake, I'd go with the Citica.  If you want one with a magnetic brake, I'd go with the Revo SX-L.  I have 5 Revos and 2 Curado D 200s.  In my experience, the Revos cast further and handle light baits better, but the Curados (same brake as Citica I believe) have much superior brake and backlash control.  

The Revo S with the mechanical brake seems to have a recurring theme of brake pins popping loose.  Until that's resolved, I wouldn't consider it.  The Revos SC, SX and STX are fantastic, though.

What are the differences/benefits of mechanical brakes vs magnetic brakes?

The mechanical (aka centrifugal) brake uses a set of pins arranged in a star-fashion attached to the end of the spool.  Each pin has a small weight that can be slid up or down on the pin and locked into place.  They can be fixed in the up "on" position or down "off" position (In any combination you wish).    The weights slow the rotation of the spool.  The amount of braking effort can be adjusted by locking some, or all of the pins down near the hub.  Think of a figure-skater spinning.  When she hold her arms out she slows, when she pulls them in she speed up.

A magnetic brake uses a series of magnets to achieve the same effect.  Adjusting the location of a plate over the magnets has the effect of either increasing or decreasing the influence of the magnets.  

Both systems work.  It's a matter of personal preference which one you want.  In my experience, centrifugal brakes seem to work a little better at controling over-runs than magnetic brakes.  However, i can get longer casts on my reels with magnetic brakes.   Others may have different experiences.  

Guest muddy

BPS Pro Qualifiers and Extremes  are on sale now What I learned on.

Pflueger Trion; My Favorite

I don't reccomed stuff I don't use but I have friends that have Shimano  Citica's and Diawa Advantages that have the same trouble free enjoyment with those reels as the three I mentioned

I'd like to keep the cost to under $150. ,

I think that the Revo owns your price range. Another option will be the Daiwa Tierra.

Best luck

HEY WPD: THIS JUST WENT ON SALE GREAT REEL AT GREAT PRICE: just click on link for BPS

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_90572_100001001_100000000_100001000_100-1-1

I bought the BPS Rick Clunn a while back and I have found it to be an excellent value for the price. I'm thinking about getting another one while they're on sale.