Sign in to follow this  
in_the_outdoors

american made reel

Has anyone had a chance to get one of the new Ardent reels i now have 6 of them. I had a chance to vist there business and watch these reels being made great quality performance and made in the usa and they have a 3 year warranty. Fisherman now have a made in the usa reel you wont go wrong with Ardent. Bass pro and cabelas carry theml    

Are they really worth the $200+ price tag?

I would rather buy my reels from china        

I use shimano fan  but I also have Ardent and I have to say they are one fine reel.  Yes they are worth the price.

Yes I have began purchasing there reels.  I will switch to them exclusively over the course of this year as I trade out my Garcias for these whenever i can afford to.

I live in Missouri can you call them and set up a tour of the plant?  That would be awesome to do .

I hear good things about these reels from the few people that seem to have them.  However, I can't find a genuine review (not talking about a promotional press release) on any Ardent reel.  I can't find pictures other than the ones on their website.  Just what is it that makes these reels so great?

My personal opinion is that they are butt-ugly, though I know "pretty" doesn't catch fish.   I'd like to know more about them.  What sort of brake mechanism does it use?  How is it adjusted?  How is it accessed?  What's the finish like?  Is it durable?  What do the guts of this reel look like?   How is Ardent's customer service?  etc......

I'm not about to spend $200 to get the answers to these questions.  Other names, big names, like Daiwa, Shimano and Abu, are known quantities.  Ardent, IMO, isn't.  I know nothing about these reels.   And no one seems really inclined to give up some useable information.  

Why should I buy an Ardent?  Being Made in the USA ain't enough.  

The Arden brake system is just like a Shimano Chronarch.  They operate the same way and the brake are adjusted the same way.  

The CS is as good or better tham any Jap reels out their.   If you have a problem with them simple call and send it to them.  They will fix and send it back postage paid.

I have had mine for a year or more and I have fished it hard this year and no problem.  It will outcast my Shimano also.

As far as being ugly that is in the eyes of the owner.

Can you post some pics of the reel?  Especially the brake system?  There is an shortage of photos of this reel on the internet.  

As far as being ugly that is in the eyes of the owner.

Agree 100%.  

I hear good things about these reels from the few people that seem to have them. However, I can't find a genuine review (not talking about a promotional press release) on any Ardent reel. I can't find pictures other than the ones on their website. Just what is it that makes these reels so great?

My personal opinion is that they are butt-ugly, though I know "pretty" doesn't catch fish. I'd like to know more about them. What sort of brake mechanism does it use? How is it adjusted? How is it accessed? What's the finish like? Is it durable? What do the guts of this reel look like? How is Ardent's customer service? etc......

I'm not about to spend $200 to get the answers to these questions. Other names, big names, like Daiwa, Shimano and Abu, are known quantities. Ardent, IMO, isn't. I know nothing about these reels. And no one seems really inclined to give up some useable information.

Why should I buy an Ardent? Being Made in the USA ain't enough.

Micropetrus (sp?). You have some very valid questions that deserve an answer. I'm at the inlaws now but when I get home I will take my reel apart showing how things work and answer your question in more detail. The thing is Ardent has been around for 3 years and if they have reached the point where they are now in 3 years, then it's gonna be scary to see what they accomplish in 3 more years. It took Shimano what 75 years to get to where they are now and they have the best warranty program in the business to back them up. Let me post some pictures for you tommorrow to futher answer some of your questions.

Mike

Great!  Thank you.  Anything you can post would be helpful.

I don't have a thing in the world againt Ardent.  I just don't know anything about them.  Their website just doesn't give the prospective buyer enough information.  I'd like to see TackleTour do a comprehensive review of one or all of their products.      

like i said i toured the plant and got to see first hand. I talked with owner mike brooks and after talking with him seeing and using the reels there not building junk thats why they have a 3 YEAR WARRANTY backing up there reels i now own 6 of them i have payed more for reels with just a year warranty. I think its a great product and im proud of Ardent a USA made reel for taking on the other reel companys

I have three of these reels and love them all. Two are the older model XS reels and one is the newer XS1000. The bottom line is they cast further with fewer backlashes. They are easy to disassemble and routine maintenance is a snap.

I did have a knob come off of a handle on one of the XS models. I contacted Ardent via e-mail to ask if I needed to return the entire reel or just the handle and was told "just the handle". I mailed the handle with a service that required them to sign for the handle upon delivery so I could verify they received it. They received my broken handle on a Monday afternoon and I received a new handle on Thursday morning of the same week (via Fedex). I was very pleased with their customer service. I doubt any other reel manufacturer could or would do better.

Two draw backs to their reels. They are not currently available in a left hand model and they only come in one gear ratio. They are 6 something to 1.

I will continue to replace my other reels with Ardents as more gear ratios become available and my finances allow..............................Al