Sign in to follow this  
eyedabassman

BERKLEY SPOOLING STATION??

I am looking for a better way,or a faster way to put line on my reels. Do any of you have this spooling station? And is it any good or just junk?? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?

It is in the Bass Pro  Catalog pp.132

I really like mine. Does a great job IMO. You can adjust tension and spool as slow or fast as your hand can move the crank. I prefer a little on the slower side with a fair amount of tension. Make sure the spool is set up so the line is coming off the top of the spool, and everything comes out just fine. I have yet to use the line stripper that comes with it though, I don't know how that works. Keep in mind though, it's just a $25ish product, don't expect it to be storng as an ox and smooth as silk, but, IMO, it does work well for the price.

How does it work on spinning reels? Because the spool has to lay flat, can you get the spool flat?

How does it work on spinning reels? Because the spool has to lay flat, can you get the spool flat?

I originally bought it to spool spinning reels. It works the same for spinning and baitcasting. I have only spooled up one baitcaster with it. You still have slight memory issues with high memory line like Trilene XT, but a few casts later, or troll it behind the boat, or lay it out on a lawn and it's gone. It's not line twist, it's the memory from being on a large spool, then going to a small spool. No matter how you spool line with memory, your going to have at least a little issue with it the first time out. It's spools braid, Trilene XL, and standard Stren just fine.

I've owned one since their invention but I've never tried them on spinning reels :P

i use mine all the time, works great but when you try to use a spinning reel its kinda inconvenient, but its GREAT for baitcasters.

I've been wanting to get one of these for two years now.  I always forget about it.  BPS had it on sale last spring for $19.99.  

I wouldn't know what i'd do without mine.

Sure makes spooling much easier for me.

Yeah the line stripper is pretty cool. Super Fast! I use mine for spooling spinning reels. I recommend it. It works really well.

Couldn't live with out it now

You got that right, best $19 I have spent on fishing gear last season. Made line stripping and respooling so much easier I do it more often now........................hmmmmmmmmmmm maybe that was Berkleys plan :-?

Well thanks for the info I will have to pick one at the Spring Classic. :P

Yep, I bought one today so I will have to try it out. Does that metal arm ever pop out on you? I had a heck of a time getting it in!

I've had mine several years and never had the arm pop out.  I keep it in the boat and have even re-spooled on the water a few times.  

Not too crazy about using it for spinning rigs but it sure is quick on baitcasters.  

Shortbasser

Yep, I bought one today so I will have to try it out. Does that metal arm ever pop out on you? I had a heck of a time getting it in!

I've taken it apart and reinstalled it a couple times (for storage purposes) and have not had an issue with it.

I have had mine for over a year and wouldn't be without it.  Watch Academy/Wal-mart have the on sale every now and then.  They have a new model out that is smaller in size but bigger in price.

When you want to spool a Spinning Reel with it, you take the metal arm out and rotate it 90 degrees so it is in the middle and pointing at the reel.  That way the line will come off the side of the spool rather than the spool rotating.  

The reason you may have trouble with the metal arm coming out, is there is a rubber "grommet" that slips over the end of the rod when inserted in the spooling station.  Doesn't hold reel good, but better than nothing.

For the person that couldn't figure out the line stripper:

1. Be sure bottom cap is screwed on tight so battery is making contact.

2. Insert the line in the smaller of the 2 holes in the top cap.

3. Be sure reel is in free spool if casting, bail is open if spinning.

4. Press the button.

5. When finished, unscrew the bottom battery cap until batteries are not making contact i.e. won't run when button pressed.  This will keep it from draining batteries.