Sign in to follow this  
ghost

Shimano Stradic 2500FI Impression

Bought this reel today & I'll tell you that it's SMOOTH!

What suprises me about this reel compared to the Stradic 2500FH & even the Symetre 2500, is that new Aero Wrap spooling.  It spools the line in a cris-cross line lay, which is cool.  But it wraps it a bit faster than the reels I've mentioned.  Caught me a bit off guard since I'm used to seeing how slow & even the line lay is on the older Stradic & Symetre.  I guess this is how Shimano can achieve the cris-cross line lay.

I also bought a Compre 7' Med spinning rod, don't know if the Stradic will go on this, I'm waiting to see the new Carrot Stix.  But the Kistler Magnesium is sure nice looking & will probably look nice on w/ the 2500FI.

I received one for Christmas and have not put any line on it due to the cold weather.

After reading  your post I am curious about the reel and will be watchful when I spool her next month.

Thanks for the information.

Please post an update when you get some time on the water using this reel.  Come spring I will be buying the 3000 version, if Daiwa spinning reels had a faster retrieve I would be buying the new Team Daiwa Advantage-A.

Mindkiller, the Daiwa Advantage in 2500, it has an ipt of 28", which is high speed. In a way I prefer this ipt from the over 30+" ipt on the Stradic 2500 & 3000. I kind of think that's just a little too fast for some applications. But I'll just have to try when the weather gets better.

However, I did spool the Stradic 2500FI w/ the 30 lb braid & backing that I had on my Stradic 2500FH. What surprised me is that I thought that if I just take the line that was on the FH & transfer to the FI that line should fit the same. But, the FI's spool does not take all of the line from the FH. I have a few yards left over, which confuses me. I thought the spools diameters would be the same, but the 2500FI takes less amount of line in 8 lb dia. Just something to be aware of...Maybe I shoulda jumped & gotten the FI 3000.

Mindkiller, the Daiwa Advantage in 2500, it has an ipt of 28", which is high speed. In a way I prefer this ipt from the over 30+" ipt on the Stradic 2500 & 3000. I kind of think that's just a little too fast for some applications. But I'll just have to try when the weather gets better.

However, I did spool the Stradic 2500FI w/ the 30 lb braid & backing that I had on my Stradic 2500FH. What surprised me is that I thought that if I just take the line that was on the FH & transfer to the FI that line should fit the same. But, the FI's spool does not take all of the line from the FH. I have a few yards left over, which confuses me. I thought the spools diameters would be the same, but the 2500FI takes less amount of line in 8 lb dia. Just something to be aware of...Maybe I shoulda jumped & gotten the FI 3000.

Line capacity is not an issue for bass fishing.

I think you will find the 2500FI to be an OUTSTANDING reel!

8-)

I picked one up at Christmas time with some gift cards I received and it is a nice upgrade from the previous Stradic. It is better balanced and cast further. I have yet to land a fish with it yet. But just from tossing it around for a few hours at a local pond, I can tell that this is one nice reel. Of course, I will have to fish it a season to tell if it is worth the extra cost compared to the old Stradic.

At first glance though, the only smoother reel I have tried is the Stella. I can't imagine what the new Stella and Sustain fell like. :)

Shimano has incorporated many of the features

that were previously found only in the Stella.

Direct Drive is especially interesting. This reel

was awarded the ICAST 2007 "Best In Class" award:

http://fish.shimano.com/catalog/fish/products/group_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302053096&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181270&bmUID=1202157263095

8-)