Sign in to follow this  
Jake P

round vs low pro

I was wondering if there is any huge differences in low pro and round reels. Is it just a new look with the same functions?

I think some folks prefer the low profiles because they palm better. Usually the round reels have more capacity. I used to prefer the looks of the round Calcuttas..I think in terms of castability it's just a personal preference.

I use both, but for some unknown reason use my lopros for all but my biggest cranks and c-rigs.

I prefer round reels for the simple reason I like the way they feel in the palm of my hand  ;)

The round reels are more of a work horse. I quit using LP reels back in the mid 90's when one broke off at the base on me! No more plastic for me!  Calcutta's all the way... ;)

I think low pros gained most of their popularity because they are easier and more comfortable for most people to palm, but their are smaller round reels available now.  Reels like the Luna 103 are not really that much bigger or even heavier than a lot of low pros.  I like having both.  I use round for all of my heavier gear like musky fishing and swimbaits, and now I have even picked up a couple 103 size rounds for pitching and flipping stuff.