Sign in to follow this  
djmax22

Help me pick a worm/jig rod

I am going to get a new rod/reel setup exclusively for soft plastics. I throw a jig 80% of the time when fishing soft plastics the other 20% a t-rigged 10' worm.

I am thinking about getting this St Croix Avid Casting Rod AC68MXF coupled to a Curado 100. What do you you think about this setup for soft plastics?

Do I want the XF action?

Any or all other suggestions would be helpful. I have several BPS rods ( i do have once other Crankbait rod, St. Croix) coupled to few of the old Curados (3) and a Pfleuger President. Ready to buy a nice set exclusively for soft plastics.

I heard that Falcon makes a good rod too.

I am thinking about getting this St Croix Avid Casting Rod AC68MXF coupled to a Curado 100. What do you you think about this setup for soft plastics?

Sounds like a good setup to me...... ;)

Sounds like a good setup to me...... ;)

+1   8-)

I was in my local cabelas recently and they have a ton of the legend series on sale. You may be able to get one on-line as well. I think they were close to half off.

I am going to get a new rod/reel setup exclusively for soft plastics. I throw a jig 80% of the time when fishing soft plastics the other 20% a t-rigged 10' worm.

You might want to step up to a MH. Unless you're fishing smaller jigs, a lot have a stout hook. And a 10" worm is a lot of plastic.

I have the LE counterpart to the rod you mentioned, and although it has great strength, I'd go with a different rod for the lures you mentioned.

With the $350 budget you mentioned, if you wanted to stay with the Avid, or keep your eyes open for last year's Legend Tournaments which can be found on sale, you could get the 68MXF (which is in the Avid, LT, and LE line), and still have enough to buy a MH for the baits you mentioned.

You'd really be covered there. ;)

Also, you are right on with the XF action.  Good choice.  

I went to the St. Louis boat show this evening and found a St. Croix MH 7' fast action.  A St Croix  representive was there and we talked for awhile. All of the old sereis Legend series rods there were 30% off and I took  the plunge. Picked one up for around $170. Seemed like a decent deal.

Sounds like a good setup to me...... :)

+1 8-)

+2 ;)