Sign in to follow this  
LOW7681

Advan tage of Extra Fast Action Casting Rods?

Over the last 20 years I've a lot of experience with older G-Loomis rods and St. Croix Avids from 6-7" in length in fast action Med. Heavy and Heavy.

I picked up a Shimano Compre 6' extra fast action casting rod in med heavy action.  Of course the rods stiffness extended further to the tip than a fast action rod. The rod interested me.

However, I can't come up with a reason for buying it--except it is light in weight and is 6' in length.

Although it is med heavy, it seems stiffer than a med. heavy fast action 6' Loomis mbr rod. That is not a draw back.

Eighty percent of my fishing is pitching jigs, large tubes, and creature baits.   Use primarily med heavy or heavy action rods in 6'length. (Actually the rods from reel seat to tip are only 3-4" shorter than a 6'6" rod.) Favor the shorter rods as I fish close to fish (docks, or very heavy tree cover, or lilly pads.) And, because after fishing for over 60 years shorter rods are easier on my arm after a day on the water.

Any perspective on the advantage of the compre rod described above based on its' extra fast action. I've never fished on extra fast action rod before.

After writing this post I'm thinking perhaps this occurred as it is getting close to fishing season and the bug to buy as bit me.

Thanks for any response.

LOW7681,

Advantage of Extra Fast Action Casting Rods?
A little stiffer tip reacts just a little quicker than a fast.

Tight Lines!!!!!

LOW7681,
Advantage of Extra Fast Action Casting Rods?
A little stiffer tip reacts just a little quicker than a fast.

Tight Lines!!!!!

Which in certain circumstances comes in handy, like when flipping or D-shotting where you want to drive in that hook in an eyeblink.  ;)

Extra fast action rods do pose some advantages.

they are great for a delayed and weak hook set. When would you want that? When fishing lures with treble hooks like jerkbaits cranks or topwater. You do not want to take the lure away from the fish when you set the hook, you want the bass to have time to inhale the lure.

The extra fast rods I own seem to work great for casting weightless softplastic but it takes some getting use to setting the hook.  It makes hooksets real easy but there is the potential of ripping the bait out of the fishes mouth.

Good spontaneous buy!  You'll like it.

it should be a good rod for fishing T-rig worms, thats what I'd use it for.

Thanks everyone for your responses.  Will now "test" the Compre rod to check out its' deflection at the tip and 16" back from the tip to see how it compares with my current fast action med. heavy and heavy action 6' rods.

Will also put a reel on it and do some in-the-store pitches.

Bob