Sign in to follow this  
eyedabassman

Skippin Rod?

I just want to know what you guys think on what size rod to get for skippin docks! I am 5'9' so I know that has some input into it. I want to buy a rod just for skippin,so I was thinking about a 6'0" M or MH. Do youy guys think that I should go with the 6' or should I go to a 6'6" or evan a 7'0" rod and should I go M or MH ? ::) :-? ;) :-/ :-[

Well, this might raise a few eyebrows, but back when I was doing a LOT of dock skipping in western NY and PA, by skipping rig was an AllStar model SRMLTN (spinning rod, med. lt. action, tennessee handle).  The rod was just about 5'10" and I had a Shimano reel taped to it loaded with either 8 or 10lb SilverThread line.  The lure I always used was a standard Bobby Garland Gitzit on a Garland 1/16oz Gitzit Head.  That thing would skip a LONG way on that rod/reel.  The combination hooked/fought/landed a ton of bass, including smallies up to 5+ and LM the same size out from under docks made of wood and metal both.   Come to think of it, maybe it's time to dig in the closet and put that rig back together again ;) 8-)

Personal preference.... ;)

A pistol or short straight grip 5'6" - 6' med/fast.

Tight Lines!!!!  

I have been using a 6' Fast ML St. Avid for skipping around docks and tight places.  It has just enough power to pull out some nice fish and it's light enough to create some quick wipping action with low or tight casts.

Thanks, for your input. Just would like a few more!

Thanks

I use a custom Loomis SJ722 6' Med. Fast.

Ronnie

Hi,

Kistler has 2 rods designed specifically for skipping. There is 1 in the Graphite Plus line up and 1 in the Magnesium line up. I have the 1 in the Graphite Plus and it works great.....

Hope this helps