Sign in to follow this  
Crankhead

Shimano/St Croix or Quantum/G Loomis?

My buddy wants to buy new rods & reels to replace the ones he's had for over 15 years. I think when you read on, you'll see he's looking to spend alot of money. He is looking at Shimano & Quantum reels and St Croix and G Loomis rods. I have always liked & bought Shimano reels matched with St Croix rods. My rod/reel combos that he likes are Baitcasting: Shimano Curado 200 DHSV w/St Croix Legend Tournament LTBC63MF and a Shimano Curado 300 DSV w/St Croix Legend Tournament LTBC70MHM. Spinning: Shimano Stradic 2500 MgF w/St Croix Legend Elite ES60MF and a Shimano Stradic 2500 MgFB w/St Croix Legend Tournament LTBS66MLF. He is looking at comparing the Curados listed above vs. the Quantum Tour Edition 1160PT w/St Croix Legend Elite EC66MF and Tour Edition 1170PT w/St Croix Legend Elite EC70MHF. Now for spinning he is looking at the Shimano Stradics listed above vs. the Quantum Tour Edition 20PTiAS w/St Croix Legend Elite ES60MF and the Quantum Tour Edition 30PTiAS w/St Croix Legend Elite ES66MLF. I have no idea what G Loomis rods to have him compare to the St Croix rods listed above. My advice was that I'm sure G Loomis compares very well with St Croix rods. I've have always bought St Croix rods. The performance & sensitivity are fantastic. And any problems I've ever had with a rod, St Croix has stood behind their warranty and replaced the rod with no fuss. He told me that he has read on this website that people have had problems with Quantum baitcasting reels when they tried to properly adjust the drop of a bait. I know I listed a lot of info above. But I really don't know anything about Quantum reels and/or G Loomis rods. He's going to be spending big bucks and I figured this is the place to get the answers.

i'll tell you if money wasn't an object i'd go with shimano and g loomis combo.. :P

Alger319, why G Loomis over St Croix?

ok don't get me wrong on this, i own a couple of both...st croix is really great and with great warrants too. g loomis is all that and better i just cant afford them beside my frog and worm rods. g loomis has a rod to match anything( i mean anything) and a couple of choices within that for personal preference. IMO they are the most well built, sensitive and durable rods. by the way their frog rod is a must get--u cant find a better one! But i'll tell u that the st.croixs and the quantums (which i have a lot due to my college budget) do just as good as anything.....just if i had the money i'd take it a knotch

I fish Shimano reels exclusively. :P

Five of my rods are St. Croix, three Avids and two Legend Elite.

Two of my rods are G.Loomis GLX.

Although I prefer G. Loomis, I have been able to buy St. Croix at substantial discounts. I think G. Loomis is a better rod, but St. Croix is often a better value. I like both brands and think your friend will like whichever he chooses.

This is what I consider my "core" rigs and all I really "need":

G. Loomis GLX MBR844C/ Shimano CTE200GT. This is my jig rig.

St. Croix Legend Elite ES70MF/ Shimano Stella 2500FB. All soft plastics.

St. Croix Avid AC66MF (soft tip)/Shimano Calais. All treble hook lures, buzzbaits and spinnerbaits.

8-)

IMHO, Loomis makes a more sensitive rod and there customer service is may be a bit better.  But with that said I have 5 St. Croix Avid spinning rods and 3 Loomis casting rods.  

If it where me and I had the cash to get some new equipment.  I would go with the Loomis rods and Shimano reels.  Specifically, I would get a Loomis MBR844 GLX with a Shimano Calais, a MBR 783 GLX with a Shimano Core, a BCR 803 or 804 GLX with a Shimano Core, and for a spinning setup, a BSR852 GLX and a Shimano Stradic 2500.  

It's nice to spend other people's money. ;D

I'd like to know if anyone has had any problems with Quantum baitcasters (like the one I mentioned above-difficulty adjusting new baits).

I'd like to know if anyone has had any problems with Quantum baitcasters (like the one I mentioned above-difficulty adjusting new baits).

NO. I have five Energy PT baitcasters, and have no problems with any of them.

None at all, I fish with Quantum Tour Editions in the 1170 and 1160 (7.1, and 6.1)  I love thier ACS system.  I find it really easy to dial in the reel for whatever I may be casting, from real light to real heavy.  Put it on a good rod and you wont be sorry.

I had a Quantum Energy Tour Edition for about 4 months and it was awesome until the I started to have issues with backlashes and the drag.  I took back to BPS and a sales person took the reel apart.  He found that one of the drag washers was cracked.  He said that he had seen several of these reels come back with issues.  I ended up exchanging for a Shimano Calais.  It was a shame, it seemed like a great reel.  

I am not knocking Quatum reels.  I have 2 of the Energy pti-a 20 spinning reels, which I have had no problems with.

Thanks for all of the advice, here's what happened. We went to Cabelas today & my buddy was looking at these rods & reels:

(1)Shimano Curado 200 DHSV w/St Croix Avid 66MHF.

(2)Daiwa TD Zillion w/G Loomis GLX MBR784C.

(3)Shimano Stradic 3000FI w/G Loomis GLX.

My buddy was hesitant to ask about getting a discount. So I did. The salesman said that the price shown is what you pay. I asked him to call the store manager & ask what kind of discount he would give if my buddy bought all 3 sets today. The manager gave him 10% off the entire purchase. My buddy pulled the trigger and was very pleased at what he bought and the price he paid. Me...I couldn't believe that he bought all 3 sets. I mean I've got 3 curados with 3 St Croix tournament bass rods and 3 stradics with 3 St Croix rods: 1 legend elite & 2 tournament bass. Remember guys, you can't get a discount if you don't ask for it. Tight lines, thanks for the help.

Thanks for all of the advice, here's what happened. We went to Cabelas today & my buddy was looking at these rods & reels:

My buddy was hesitant to ask about getting a discount. So I did. The salesman said that the price shown is what you pay. I asked him to call the store manager & ask what kind of discount he would give if my buddy bought all 3 sets today. The manager gave him 10% off the entire purchase. My buddy pulled the trigger and was very pleased at what he bought and the price he paid. Me...I couldn't believe that he bought all 3 sets. I mean I've got 3 curados with 3 St Croix tournament bass rods and 3 stradics with 3 St Croix rods: 1 legend elite & 2 tournament bass. Remember guys, you can't get a discount if you don't ask for it. Tight lines, thanks for the help.

We need to quit hearing about this 'third person'.  Anybody who spends money on equipment like that should be posting on the forum with the rest of us tackle junkies.  Guide him this way...

We need to quit hearing about this 'third person'. Anybody who spends money on equipment like that should be posting on the forum with the rest of us tackle junkies. Guide him this way...

I second that.

Guest avid

Your buddy got some great gear.....

I would tell him about the baitmonkey but I don't want to send Russ his royalty.  8-)

Nice setups, the MBR784 and the MH avid seem like they would be very close in action and power.

What spinning rod did he get in GLX? The SJR722?

Hot n Tot "We need to quit hearing about this 'third person'.  Anybody who spends money on equipment like that should be posting on the forum with the rest of us tackle junkies. Guide him this way."

My buddy saw your post & I told him he should take your advice. For info this site has it all. He also said I screwed up on which rods he bought. We were looking at so many rods, oh well, I'll let him clear that up on his 1st post. I don't need any more rods but when we were at Cabela's, those G Loomis Brozeback rods looked pretty sweet and very tempting. But then again if I bought one, my St Croix family would get very upset! Can't have that.