Sign in to follow this  

hey guys. im looking at buying a new baitcast reel tomorow. i bought a shimano citica today and took it home. as soon as i started messing with the reel and testing it out, IT BROKE! this is the first malfunction ive ever had with a shimano. i have heard great things about the daiwa procaster and capricorn, i just started with baitcast reels last year and i heard that these daiwa models are great for starters and they are very inexpensive. they also come with 8 ball bearings. has anyone had experience with this model daiwa?? also has anyone had any luck with an Okuma baitcast reel? any advice you guys could give me would really help. sorry for the essay! thanks

The Okuma was a peice of junk when they first came out. I don't know if they ever fixed the problems. I have several Daiwa HST's and they are workhorses.

Mind me asking what broke on the citica?

I have one Capricorn, served me good for one season. It's a no fuss reel (nothing to write home about ), but what would you expect in that price range ($80?). Had NO problem with it so far.

Hope it helps

the reel wouldnt spin when i cranked it in. it also clicked on every rotation of the handle. not big problems but since i payed 120 bucks on it.........i want a reel with NO malfunctions!

I hear ya, but why not just exchange it for a new citica?  It's what you had already decided was the right reel... every company has a couple bad ones slip through QC or you mistakenly were sold an exchanged reel.  Unfortunately it happens sometimes...  I would exchange it if I were you.

You say you were messing around with it? Did you break it? Citica is a great reel. If its truly broken I would just return it and get another.

The person already says he wants a different reel. For that money a daiwa 153 hst wolkd be nice the hsta is he newer one a little out of your price range? If you really had you're heart set on the citica return it and try another one and if it breaks stay away!

the reel wouldnt spin when i cranked it in. it also clicked on every rotation of the handle.

1.  How loose was the drag?

2.  How loose was the spool tension knob?

:;)

Solution:

Exchange the reel for a new one and inspect it closely at the store. Go over the reel with the Manager of the store or if it's a major retailer, whoever is in charge of the Fishing Department. The Citica is a great real which I think you will be VERY happy with.

8-)

And if for some odd reason you happen to not like the citica after all you could always try an Abu Garcia Revo S.  ;D ;D ;D