Sign in to follow this  
Ballpark Frank

My daughter retired her Zebco 33 today.

My oldest daughter(8) decided to retire her tried and true Zebco 33 and 5' rod today. She has been practicing with my Revo S and 6' GL2, and doing well. At Walmart today, she begged me for a 5'6" pistol grip Lightning Rod(just like Daddy's). Since she is my only regular fishing buddy and my firstborn, how could I refuse? I gave her the Revo S, since I am using the Accurist's now, and mounted it on the Lightning Rod. I have never seen her this excited, except when she got her first Dachshund. Well, we had to go to the lake behind our subdivision and do a little fishing. In around 2 hrs, she only had 2 backlashes and they were not that bad. We caught several of the dinks that happened to venture out in the warm weather. I am a very proud Dad today.

Consder yourself lucky. My daughter is the same age as your and she claimed my Curado BSF as hers after her first cast when she was 6.

I found her a nice southbend two piece casting rod that I got for about $10.

So Kudos to you, from one proud dad to another!

Oh yeah... The first words out of her mouth after her first cast "Papi, this reel is so much easier to use than the other (spinning) kind."  Now that's my little girl! 8-) ;) And the only thing I told her that no matter what happens, your thumb must stop the spool from spinning right before it hits anything, be it the water, the ground, or the neighbor's fence.

Basspaddler.

That is sad.

It equates with her getting her drivers license.

When she starts wearing make up and high heel shoes.

The first night she stays out with her boyfriend all night.

When she graduates from high school.

When she graduates from college.

When she gets engaged.

When she gets married.

It is a major passage in a women's life to get a new, better fishing rig, right up there with all the other things they go through.

Basspaddler.

That is sad.

It equates with her getting her drivers license.

When she starts wearing make up and high heel shoes.

The first night she stays out with her boyfriend all night.

When she graduates from high school.

When she graduates from college.

When she gets engaged.

When she gets married.

It is a major passage in a women's life to get a new, better fishing rig, right up there with all the other things they go through.

;)

My oldest daughter(8) decided to retire her tried and true Zebco 33 and 5' rod today. She has been practicing with my Revo S and 6' GL2, and doing well. At Walmart today, she begged me for a 5'6" pistol grip Lightning Rod(just like Daddy's). Since she is my only regular fishing buddy and my firstborn, how could I refuse? I gave her the Revo S, since I am using the Accurist's now, and mounted it on the Lightning Rod. I have never seen her this excited, except when she got her first Dachshund. Well, we had to go to the lake behind our subdivision and do a little fishing. In around 2 hrs, she only had 2 backlashes and they were not that bad. We caught several of the dinks that happened to venture out in the warm weather. I am a very proud Dad today.

That's a great story.   ;)  

I just moved my nephew up from his 3 foot teenage mutant ninja turtles rod  to 5 foot spiderman rod.  He thinks he's the man now.  Oh and don't forget the matching spiderman sunglasses. 8-)

Oh I know what you mean. She picked out a pair of Costa's that she wants for her birthday. I am just happy that she is excited about fishing and is learning a baitcaster at about the same age as I did. Albeit mine was an antique Coxe with no brakes and thumb-buster crank.

It's 1am and I should have my buttt in the bed, but I saw this post, and had to read it. Made me smile. Congrats to that lucky dad and the lucky daughter! I have 2 sons, ages 8 and 10. The 10 year old recently passed his zebco 33 down to his 8 year old brother after learning to operate one of the 6 Shimano's in the rodbox. There's nothing like have a child that loves to fish. Sometimes, you wanna say some bad words (when they hook you in the back with a rattlin' rogue and braided line), but you have to bite your lip....while you reach over your shoulder and try to get that jerkbait out of your back! Yes, I speak from experience. LOL