Sign in to follow this  
bassmedic46

reel ratio

Which is a better ratio to get a lower # or a higher #? Looking at getting a basspro extreme any sugestions. I do shore fishing not much on the water.  

Like Bass-Brat said, it would help to know how you fish. For all around use I would recommend the 6.3:1. I have three extremes in 6.3:1 and I am very happy with them, but again, it depends on your fishing style.

I reccomend a 6:3.1 ratio for everything except cranking and slop fishing.  In those cases use a 5:1.1.

I use a 6.3:1 for most everything with a few exceptions:

5.1:1 for cranks

7.0:1 for burning spinner baits and topwater lures (Buzz baits etc...)

I would go with a 6.3:1 ;)

6+:1

8-)

I use a 6.3:1 for most everything with a few exceptions:

5.1:1 for cranks

7.0:1 for burning spinner baits and topwater lures (Buzz baits etc...)

Yep!!!

;)

Besides spinnerbaits, do you think there is any advantage in using 7.1 for frogs?

Yup yup.  The fast ratio will help you turn the fish before she can dive down into the thickest of the thick.  And with the robust gearing in reels like the Curado or Zillion, you won't have to sacrifice winching power for a faster retrieve.

I reccomend a 6:3.1 ratio for everything except cranking and slop fishing. In those cases use a 5:1.1.

Slop fishing go high speed! 7.0.1

Besides spinnerbaits, do you think there is any advantage in using 7.1 for frogs?

Yup yup. The fast ratio will help you turn the fish before she can dive down into the thickest of the thick. And with the robust gearing in reels like the Curado or Zillion, you won't have to sacrifice winching power for a faster retrieve.

What lakes do you fish? I live just outside of Oak Creek.

I use 5:3.1 for everything except buzzbaits and spinners.  For those I use 6:3.1.

Yup yup. The fast ratio will help you turn the fish before she can dive down into the thickest of the thick. And with the robust gearing in reels like the Curado or Zillion, you won't have to sacrifice winching power for a faster retrieve.

What lakes do you fish? I live just outside of Oak Creek.

I fish a lot of Racine Co. lakes.  Eagle is one of my favs; caught my PR there.  Whitewater is also a great big bass lake.  Browns is a good #'s lake.  We have a cottage on a lake in Wautoma, so I do the majority of my bassin' there.

How about you?