Sign in to follow this  
spinifecs

Braid Suggestions

I do a lot of spinning and lure casting and was just wondering what Braid you guys would suggest on a 1000 to 2500 spinning reel, in the 4 to 8 lb line class. Have heard bad things about wind knots and digging in, things like that, but just want to know what your experiences and suggestions would be. Cheers for your help

I've had good luck with Power Pro, in the 10-20lb range, on reels of that size.  I don't know of any braids that come in weights less than 10lb, though 10lb braid will have the diameter of 2lb mono.  I've always preferred braid on my spinning reels when I could get way with it, due to the low memory, lower twist, and lower likelihood of looping off the spool during casts.  I've also used Stren Braid, Fireline, and Spiderwire Stealth.  The Stren was OK, but I didn't care for the other two as they seemed to cut into the line on the spool more often.  None of them handled as well as the Power Pro, in my opinion.

I wont be fishing anything but Suffix for a long time to come.

I believe 10 lb. braid is as low as they go.

Stren , power pro , suffix are some decent lines.

20lb Power Pro or Sufix would work just fine. You could also easily go with 30lb. I use both brands and like them about the same. PP fades quickly but I haven't had Sufix long enough to know if iyd better about that.

I like suffix over power pro.  Either is going to fade.  

I just spooled some Samurai and will let you know how that turns out.  I am guessing it will be subtlety better but probably not worth the extra $.

I like suffix over power pro. Either is going to fade.

I just spooled some Samurai and will let you know how that turns out. I am guessing it will be subtlety better but probably not worth the extra $.

From what I understand, spraying the KVD Line and Lure on braid will help it hold its color.

That is what the maker said at Guntersville.  

I am currently using some Sufix that MassholeMike gave me, and so far I like it.  I have now tried the Spiderwire Original, Stealth, Stren and the Sufix.  I havent really developed a preference other than not really liking the Original Spiderwire....

I use PowerPro in 8, 10, 15 and 20 pound test on my spinning reels.

JT Bagwell

I just spooled 10 lb. Power Pro on my 2500 spinning reel. Is it ok to spray the braided line with the KVD Line Conditioner or is that best for Mono/Flourocarbon lines? Also; how does the braided line hold up on casting reels compared to flourocarbon? Any advan/disadvantages?

Here's the skinny on Line & Lure with braid. Line & Lure will help your braid in a number of ways. 1. Wind knots are greatly reduced and if you get a w/knot they pull out very easy. 2. Line & Lure will help keep the factory finish from wearing off the braid because it reduces the friction that is inherent with braid. 3. Line will spool more uniformly using Line & Lure reducing the problems of line bury. The lessened friction is the key. Keeping the factory finish on braid will extend the life of the line and ensure more predictable performance with fewer problems. Treat those bulk/filler spools before you spool up. It's the easiest and surest way to get all the benefits from your Line & lure treatment.

Rob