Sign in to follow this  
bigmountaineer

Frog Rod, What exactly does that mean?

Ok, I have no idea why people need a seperate rod let's say 7'6" for froggin. Why? What type of froggin are they talking about?

I use a regular pole for fishin frogs. I guess I'm lost, any help??

"Frog Rods" are for the most part, flipping sticks. I like flipping and pitching jigs and beavers, and throwing frogs a lot. Right now, it's the ONLY two baits I throw, and probably will be ALL Summer. Why have just 1 flipping stick and have to retie constantly? That's where the frog rod comes in.

I also flip and pitch with 20lb Pline CXX, and frog with Braid, so two setups is a must.

7'3 - 7'6 and even some 8fters.

Beefy rods for pulling big fish out of heavy slop.

I use my frog rod in heavy slop, and in open water. I've been using a 765 ( 7ft 6in 5power, but am upgrading to a 7ft6inch 6 power).

I only fish hollow body frogs, and have no experience with the full on plastic frogs like Horny Toads.

You don't NEED a frog rod, but like any technique in bass fishing, the type of rod does help your hook up ratio, and can help you land fish.

"Frog Rods" are for the most part, flipping sticks. I like flipping and pitching jigs and beavers, and throwing frogs a lot. Right now, it's the ONLY two baits I throw, and probably will be ALL Summer. Why have just 1 flipping stick and have to retie constantly? That's where the frog rod comes in.

I also flip and pitch with 20lb Pline CXX, and frog with Braid, so two setups is a must.

7'3 - 7'6 and even some 8fters.

Beefy rods for pulling big fish out of heavy slop.

I use my frog rod in heavy slop, and in open water. I've been using a 765 ( 7ft 6in 5power, but am upgrading to a 7ft6inch 6 power).

I only fish hollow body frogs, and have no experience with the full on plastic frogs like Horny Toads.

You don't NEED a frog rod, but like any technique in bass fishing, the type of rod does help your hook up ratio, and can help you land fish.

Gotcha, I assume you fish it the same, jerking the frog back and forth, over lilly pads and such, the longer rod gives you more jerking power. Cool, I might look into that.

I take 2-3 rods with me every trip I fish, but for the past month and half, the only bait I've thrown has been a hollow body frog.

There's a wide variety of ways to fish it. But what the stronger longer rod really helps you with is pulling fish out of cover. Lilly pads, slop, trees under water, etc..  It also helps with hook setting power, and setting the hook from far away.

The jerking the frog back and fourth, I'm assuming you're talking about walking the frog. That's how I fish it most of the time, with pauses in certain situations.

use braid  :)

I was wondering as well.  Here in Central Indiana in my area.  There are no topwater cover.  All open.  Grass on the bottom.  So, this setup would be of no use to me.   I think.

With no cover you could get by with using a standard MH rod for frogs.  When I frog fish, it is in stuff you can almost walk across.  The key is to set the hook and turn the fish before it can sink itself into the mat.  When you get the fish in the boat, it is liable to weigh 15lbs with all the grass hanging off it.

Anthony

I personally throw my frog on a 6'6 MH fast action, and it's nice as heck!  The only reason to have a longer rod, is to have more leverage when setting the hook...  I don't need leverage, just a lot of strength!  lol  :)  You can use anything for a frog rod, just throw it on whatever you like.  Whoever said you needed to throw a certain bait, on a certain rod, is a tool!  lol

I personally throw my frog on a 6'6 MH fast action, and it's nice as heck!  The only reason to have a longer rod, is to have more leverage when setting the hook...  I don't need leverage, just a lot of strength!  lol  :)  You can use anything for a frog rod, just throw it on whatever you like.  Whoever said you needed to throw a certain bait, on a certain rod, is a tool!  lol

So I guess you throw your 5oz swimbaits on a 6'6 Ugly Stick?  ;D

For the guy fishing open water frogs, you don't need as much beef, but a longer rod is still nice and gives you an advantage. Longer casts, and better hooksets on long casts with the longer rod.

For the guy fishing open water frogs, you don't need as much beef, but a longer rod is still nice and gives you an advantage. Longer casts, and better hooksets on long casts with the longer rod.

I only asked the question because I didn't really know the difference of why somone would buy seperate rods. I mainly bank fish so lugging a 7'6" pole is annoying. But I think I will up it to a 7' MH pole on 30 lb braid. Use it for froggin', buzzbaits, swimbaits, and everything else that needs that leverage. I'm a bigger guy at 6'5" 300 so the leverage I already have with a 6'6' is good.

Thanks for everyone's response.

I only asked the question because I didn't really know the difference of why somone would buy seperate rods. I mainly bank fish so lugging a 7'6" pole is annoying. But I think I will up it to a 7' MH pole on 30 lb braid. Use it for froggin', buzzbaits, swimbaits, and everything else that needs that leverage. I'm a bigger guy at 6'5" 300 so the leverage I already have with a 6'6' is good.

Thanks for everyone's response.

I'm assuming you're talking small swimbaits? Swimbaits too are nicer with longer rods. Gets back to making long casts.

I walk the bank with a 8fter, 2 7'6s, and a 7'3.  ;D

But seriously, it's not just leverage. If you're making LONG casts with a frog or any bait, the longer the rod, the more line is moved on the hookset.

I have lost countless frog fish on a 7ft rod and a Regular speed reel. Once I moved up to a 7'6 / revo STX high speed, it's been a COMPLETE night and day difference.

( I'm just letting you in on my experiences and what I have learned, this could be different then other peoples preferences  )

you dont have to have a 7ft6 rod for it to be a frog rod .... most people say to use a big o flipping stick to fish a frog ,,, yea ya can but a flipping stick is made to flip .... i true frog rod has a tip designed to toss a lite hollow frog .... it has a crisp fast action to for those quick hook sets .... it had a ton of power to pull those bass from the slop ... IMO the best frog rod on the market is the st croix LTB slop n frog ... this rod is a 7ft heavy fast rod .... this rod is very crisp on the hookset and offers a ton of power ... while being lite weight ....

+1 on the st. croix LT slop n frog...I picked one up when they were on sale for $150 bucks....best $150 ever spent on a rod!!! :)

i like mine so much ,,, im getting one more .... ill be getting the new one with the split cork ... last season i hooked a bass on a spro ... as i set the hook i slipped off a rock ... this allowed the bass to wrap around a big peice of drift wood and a ton of slop ... i put the preasure on him ,,, praying the rod wouldent break .... i braught the wood , bass , and slop all in .... the bass was 5lbs the wood must have been 10 at least ( it was way bigger than the bass and soaked in water as it was under water ) then there was slop all over the wood and bass ... the ltb rod handled it no prob .... this is the sweetest frog rod ive ever seen or used ....