Sign in to follow this  
bassguitar1

Loomis GLX BSR 803 or BSR 852?

Went to Bass Pro Shop today to pickup a BSR 852 (senko rod), but the closest they had was a BSR 803, which I purchased.

After fishing with the 803 for a couple hours, I wondered whether it might be ever so slightly stiff for fishing plastics. Mind you I'm a Senko guy 90% of the time. On the other hand, I've been dying to try my new Mattlures Baby Bass. Maybe the extra power of the 803 would be a happy medium? I did love having the power to pull through grass, etc.

What do you guys think? Should I exchange it? The guy behind the counter said the other rod would be in tomorrow. This will be my only good rod.

FWIW, I am bank fishing 100% of the time (for Largemouth).

BCR 893 GLX is the best senko rod you can get.  I love mine, paired with a Daiwa Steez 103.

Welcome aboard!

I think you will like the BSR852 better. The additional length and slightly lower power rating will add to your casting distance. Personally, I like a stiffer tip, but that's why they give you choices!

p.s. I am not necessarily disagreeing with Redlinerobert, but I too prefer spinning tackle to fish soft plastics. My dedicated rod is a St. Croix Legend Elite, ES70MF matched to a Shimano Stella 2500FB and spooled with Yo-Zuri Ultra Soft #6.

8-)

I like my 803, but I also have an 852, both in the casting versions.  The 3 power BCR's are powerful...they are labeled as extra-fast, but they probably should come up with a new category just for these rods.  Ludicrous fast maybe?  Anyway, the 803 is great, but the 852 probably behaves more like a spinning rod in the since that it is geared more toward finesse.  However, the 852 is probably real close to the 843 in the upper section of the rod; it has surprising power.  Just keep the  803 for skipping jigs and tubes, working flukes/Slug-go's, and everything else you could use a shorter rod for.  The 852 on the other hand, is the ultimate rod for all your general spinning rod duties.