Sign in to follow this  
njbasser

Crankbait Reel?

hey im new here and i was wondering what a good crankbait reel would be. So far im looking at the revo winch, the curado 5:1, or the calcutta B. I have a limit of around $200.

BTW, the reel will be going on a St. Croix Avid 7' Medium Crankbait Model- AVC70MM

Also, the Tour Edition PT is on sale at Tackle Warehouse for $130 so i was thinking about picking up the burner model for RatlTraps and buzzbaits, any feedback would be appreciated :)

Welcome aboard!

I have that rod matched up with a full-size Chronarch.

If you can find deal, I would recommend the CH50MG.

We had one on the "Flea Market" last month for around $200.

8-)

I just checked out the Chronarch on Tackle Warehouse, looks like a great reel. Im a lefty so i would need the CH51Mg model, which is out of stock :-/

The only thing i noticed is that the reel is a 6.2:1 reel, from what i've read, i thought a 5:1 ratio reel would be the best bet, does it really matter that much or is it more of a personal preference type thing

A lower gear ratio is generally preferred for deep cranking.

6.2:1 is fine for a greater variety of lures.

8-)

I have both the Curado 200 DPV and the Calcutta 100B and like both reels.  The curado is kind of large though compared to most other LP reels.  The calcutta is one of my favorite reels, and it was the first quality baitcaster i bought.

I use my curado 100 more than i do the 200 because most of my cranking is witch shallow running baits, but when I go deep I usually use the 200.

You probably won't be dissapointed either way, it's just whichever one you like the feel of.

Thanks Aaron

I think i am going to go with a 6:1 ratio reel after what you and RW said, just dont know which one yet

A 6:1 reel is not a great choice for deep cranks, in my opinion.

You'll find a lower ratio reel will be easier to use for these reels.  The strong resistance you'll encounter when retrieving these types of baits is best counteracted by a lower gear ratio in the reel.