Sign in to follow this  
ShaunML09

Questions about Spinning Rod/Lures - New to this

Hi, thanks for the great resource.  I am fairly new at this.  I just caught my first bass last weekend using some old equipment that was lying around my GF's lake house in Maine. I used a jitterbug as I was told the bass were biting at everything.  We are going back Thursday and I would like to have my own good stuff, with a better idea of what I am doing.  Turns out its my birthday this week so I got free reign to buy some new stuff.  

I am buying a spinning rod because well...I know how to spin cast :P  I need it to be multipurpose because I will only be buying 1.    I will be fishing mainly from the dock, and it has some good areas around it with cover, plants etc...and a few shallow areas that I can reach by canoe. I have read a ton on this site, and through the forum trying to make my way to figure out what the hell I am doing.  One problem is that I need it before Thursday so it has to be available locally...thankfully cabellas just moved in next to me in scarborough maine.  Sadly, the don't have the St. Croix Avid 70 MH in stock so it wouldn't be here till next week.  Hell I would have bought a IMX if they had that in stock too...or anywhere in Maine(apparently they don't sell up here)

I guess my decision boils down to the 6'6" Crucial CRS66MH or the Crucial CRS70MH .... thoughts?  Cabellas might have the St. Croix Legend if you think that's worth the money?  I plan on using senko(original and swimmers), crankbaits and jerkbaits, as well as the jitterbug or topwaters.  

As for a reel, I was going to for the Shimano Stradic 2500MGFB...Will that work well for those rods?  Or does it depend?  

For lures?  I read through a bunch of threads, but it was difficult to come to a consensus on what I should pick up.  I saw the top 5 and top 10 list but I have no idea how to pick which lure over another.  I realize a lot of that comes with experience but I would appreciate it if somebody would just tell me exactly 5-10 basic lures I could just pick up and try out without wasting a lot of money :)  

Thanks again for all the help

Welcome aboard!

Regarding the reel, the new FI series has incorporated many of the features previously only found in the Stella. The 2500FI is what I would generally suggest, but the 1000FI might balance up better for you. Try them both on the rod you end up buying.

As for some basic lures/ baits...

Let's start with something simple:

Buy the original Rapala Floating Minnow, silver and black. Cast the lure parallel to the bank, preferably along a grassline. Let the lure sit for at least thirty seconds, then retrive slowly and steadly. If you fish deep water along a steep bank for example, you can fish a Rat-L-Trap (blue & chrome) with the same casting pattern and retrieve. Both of these lures are proven producers.

If you think you're ready for soft plastics, buy two bags of 5" Senkos (not knock-offs) and one bag of GYCB Fat Ika, all watermelon with black flakes. Rig these baits on a Gamakatsu 4/0 EWG Offset Worm Hook, weightless and weedless. Cast them just as I described with the Rapala. Allow the bait to settle to the bottom and leave it there for a minute. Move the bait 6"-12" with a horizontal sweep, allowing the bait to settle on slack line. Leave the bait motionless for at least fifteen seconds between movements. Focus on presentation and do NOT change baits or use anything else. Fish the entire bag of Senkos, then half the bag of Fat Ika before going back to the Senko.

If you don't catch any bass on these four lures/ baits, find somewhere else to fish.

Good luck!

8-)

Rapala minnow

Senkos

Spinnerbait

In-line spinners

Lipless crank

Welcome aboard!

Regarding the reel, the new FI series has incorporated many of the features previously only found in the Stella. The 2500FI is what I would generally suggest, but the 1000FI might balance up better for you. Try them both on the rod you end up buying.

As for some basic lures/ baits...

Let's start with something simple:

Buy the original Rapala Floating Minnow, silver and black. Cast the lure parallel to the bank, preferably along a grassline. Let the lure sit for at least thirty seconds, then retrive slowly and steadly. If you fish deep water along a steep bank for example, you can fish a Rat-L-Trap (blue & chrome) with the same casting pattern and retrieve. Both of these lures are proven producers.

If you think you're ready for soft plastics, buy two bags of 5" Senkos (not knock-offs) and one bag of GYCB Fat Ika, all watermelon with black flakes. Rig these baits on a Gamakatsu 4/0 EWG Offset Worm Hook, weightless and weedless. Cast them just as I described with the Rapala. Allow the bait to settle to the bottom and leave it there for a minute. Move the bait 6"-12" with a horizontal sweep, allowing the bait to settle on slack line. Leave the bait motionless for at least fifteen seconds between movements. Focus on presentation and do NOT change baits or use anything else. Fish the entire bag of Senkos, then half the bag of Fat Ika before going back to the Senko.

If you don't catch any bass on these four lures/ baits, find somewhere else to fish.

Good luck!

8-)

Excellent, I will pick up the FI - thank you. As for the rod, do those sound ok? 7 or 6'6" crucial?

oh for line, I had seen a previous recommendation for Yo Zuri Ultra Soft 11.8 lb test?  Would that work, or some other ideas?  

I don't know the rods, so I'll just say I fish a St. Croix Legend Elite ES70MF for my dedicated soft plastics rig. If you decide on a 7' rod, the 2500FI is the best match. On a 6 1/2' rod, maybe the 1000, but that's really personal preference.

The line I would suggest is Yo-Zuri Hybrid Ultra Soft #6 (.010" diameter, 11.9 lb test).

8-)

Sooo....I ended up getting the IMX SJR843, and the 2500FI. The guys at the desk were practically slobbering over this setup.  Though I don't think they liked the idea I had everything picked out before I came into the store, list in hand.  

Sadly, they didn't have the yo-zuri line, and I am not sure where I can get it around here in the next day or two.  

I was thinking braid with fluro leader....though I would rather just use the yo-zuri, but such is life.  I got to practice my knots.  

Wow! You done gooooooood!

Everyone has a favorite line. You could give the regular Hybrid a try if it's available. Otherwise, Gamma Copolymer, P-Line CX Premium or Maxima would be my suggestions. Obviously, I'm not a fan of braid.

8-)

Sounds like a swee set up.  I have the 2500 also, but mine is a few years old, it is my favorite reel.  The rod sounds sweet too.

I have used the Gamma line and would highly recommend it.

Good luck and enjoy your new rig!