Sign in to follow this  
Gr8wall

modifying, upgrading, tuning, etc...bc reels

I just saw a post by Redlinerobert where he bought some jdm reels and changed out some parts. Well that kinda motivated me to do the same for my reels as well. However, i am looking to upgrade the internals. I already had a friend tell me how to change out the bearings for betters ones in my curado but i would like to do other thigns while in there. I saw a couple weeks ago about replacing the clutch as well but cant seem to find. But regardless of the things just mentioned is there anythign else i can do while in there? Sorry if the is a very noob question but i dont konw much about internals besides seeing the expoded axonometric drawings in the paper work.

With this i was wondering if the same can be done for daiwa bc reels? here is a list of the reels i have and was wondering if i could do any internal "performance" upgrades:

Curado 200dhsv

Citica 200d

Daiwa viento

Also, would you guys be able to post places to buy the parts as well? Thanks again, and sorry for the nooby question.

Kar

p.s. woudl you guys also be able to include somethign about reel maintenance, cause i would like to learn that too.  i think it is time for me to give them a good tune up.

Check out the reel mechanics site, he is a member and one of the sponsors.  

As far as parts go smoohdrag.com sells bearings and drag washers.  castaway lakes sells some parts too, but I think they are mostly for ambaassadeurs.

I have decided to start modding one of my reels, a 5600 C4, and I am replacing the drag washers, bearings, and putting a new handle on it.

Good luck, I know I am going to need it. :P

Gr8wall,

I only have this advise for you, if you don't know much about the internal workings of a BC reel then I'd suggest that you stay out of your listed reels.

Unless you don't want that Viento® to ever work properly again.

Stay out of the reels and have a qualified service tech do any service or upgrades for you if there are any available. The owners manual has the basic maintenance steps to follow then once a year have the tech take care of the internals.

These reels you listed are not like Aarons 5600 C4 reel, there are more parts and more springs that you would lose (even the clips holding the bearings), and wind up needing spring and E-clip supplies.

Just my .02¢ from the bench.. :P

I have a Calcutta and some curados and would never dream (at this point) of taking those apart to repair/upgrade them.

I figured the 5600 would be a better starting point, but my no means a walk in the park. Plus my dad used to own a bait shop and repair reels for a living so some help isn't too far away if needed.

modding reels is alot of fun.  Take it from the Reel Mechanic, get someone to do the internal work for you unless you are COMPLETELY sure of what you are doing.  I dont trust myself so I leave it to the pro's. :P

The Reel Mechanic is more than qualified, I've sent him reels and have been very pleased with his work.

Other than internal work, you can also get the reel casings painted or anodized.  There's a few guys I know that can do great work for you.

Good luck and enjoy the process!  Looking forward to seeing what you get done.

Gr8wall,

I only have this advise for you, if you don't know much about the internal workings of a BC reel then I'd suggest that you stay out of your listed reels.

Unless you don't want that Viento® to ever work properly again.

Stay out of the reels and have a qualified service tech do any service or upgrades for you if there are any available. The owners manual has the basic maintenance steps to follow then once a year have the tech take care of the internals.

These reels you listed are not like Aarons 5600 C4 reel, there are more parts and more springs that you would lose (even the clips holding the bearings), and wind up needing spring and E-clip supplies.

Just my .02¢ from the bench.. :P

thank you for your advice.  i will refrain from trying to work on these reels by myself without professional help.  any recommendations on how to or where to begin to practice so i can build myself up to my reels?  thanks.

I don't know your capabilities.  I think some people are just more inclined to be able to mess with certain things.  I am one of those people that feel can take absolutely anything apart and get it back together correctly.  I currently have a bag of Citica on the bench among other things.  

Its not rocket science though.  And its a lot easier than these midterms.

Anthony

Gr8wall,

any recommendations on how to or where to begin to practice so i can build myself up to my reels?  thanks.

I was taught by my dad while in high school to reverse engineer. When I got into my internships at Daiwa® and Shimano® in the repair dept. in 1985, it helped to be able to layout without any trouble the reels infernal (oops) internal parts, and figure how each module laid out and what it did in the reel. Now 25 years later, each new reel is different in it's layout and the modules, which is always a learning process.

I would find an old reel no one is worried about, and learn from it. I have a book that I produced awhile back that I have been revising, it covers how to take a reel apart lay it out and the whole cleaning and lubrication process, then the re-assembly. Hope to have it ready again this winter.

Aaron,

I figured the 5600 would be a better starting point, but my no means a walk in the park. Plus my dad used to own a bait shop and repair reels for a living so some help isn't too far away if needed.
Well that's great, and if he has never opened up a modern LP reel, he knows what's involved and how they work and will figure it out quickly huh........ :P

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

I have a book that I produced awhile back that I have been revising, it covers how to take a reel apart lay it out and the whole cleaning and lubrication process, then the re-assembly. Hope to have it ready again this winter.

I'll take a copy. :P

Gr8wall,
any recommendations on how to or where to begin to practice so i can build myself up to my reels?  thanks.

I was taught by my dad while in high school to reverse engineer. When I got into my internships at Daiwa® and Shimano® in the repair dept. in 1985, it helped to be able to layout without any trouble the reels infernal (oops) internal parts, and figure how each module laid out and what it did in the reel. Now 25 years later, each new reel is different in it's layout and the modules, which is always a learning process.

I would find an old reel no one is worried about, and learn from it. I have a book that I produced awhile back that I have been revising, it covers how to take a reel apart lay it out and the whole cleaning and lubrication process, then the re-assembly. Hope to have it ready again this winter.

Aaron,

Well that's great, and if he has never opened up a modern LP reel, he knows what's involved and how they work and will figure it out quickly huh........ :P

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!

And we are going to test those skills coming up shortly...in just two weeks!  Reelmech is going to be given a pile of parts and see if he can assemble them back where they belong (x6)  ;D.  Granted I do have them separated out to a degree, but there isn't any way I would dive in to these.  I'll hollar when they are on the way buddy :).  I'm going to include the aftermarket Abec 5 Ceramics I got in as well (VBX's).  My TD-Z's are getting a full makeover...new paint and bearings...should be sweet.  

Sure no problem, I just love basket cases...

Ask RedLine how long I had his infernal (ops) internal parts waiting on the first paint job he had done.

Tight Lines All !!  

Ask RedLine how long I had his infernal (ops) internal parts waiting on the first paint job he had done.

Tight Lines All !!

I owe you for that RM.  ;D

Tight Lines All !!  

I owe you for that RM.  ;D

Tight Lines Robert !!!  :P