Sign in to follow this  
supreme

best line for finiky bass using plastic in clear water

I have come accross a lot of large schools of bass in a clear gravel pit. Out of every 15 or so bass I see I might catch one. i watch them investigate my bait but they swim away. I have a stradic 2500 & 3000 spinning reels with 10 lbs gamma line. Is this line to visible to the fish.

It's odd how fish act differently in different bodies of water.  I fish a shell pit too.  Sometimes visibility is 15' or more.  I have used braid w/out leader and caught as many fish as using Flouro.  I have been using Yozuri #12 and #15 last 4 outings and it doesn't seem to bother the fish.  I use 10' june bug worms and 1/4-1/2 ounce weights.  

Perhaps it's your technique/presentation or lure choice that is causing the fish to turn away.

I am not completely satisfied that mono, flouro or braid play as big of a role in scaring fish away as some people make it out to be.

I don't think my presentation is off but maybe choice of plastic or when using bullet sinkers. I can see the hook & sinker clearly

I think that 10# is too heavy, and would go to 6 or 8 instead. And, i may be one of the few, but i like XL in clr/blue . It helps me see the line twitch on lite bites better than a clear or low-vis green. (i am a little long in the tooth)  :P