Sign in to follow this  
Max-in-Mn

New Reel Advice

Hey fellas,

I have been sort of "out of the loop" for a while when it comes to gear, but, I am looking for a new reel to celebrate 1 year smoke free. I have been looking at the Daiwa Tierra, Shimano Citica, and Pflueger Asaro. This reel will be my "all around" reel that I do most stuff minus super heavy slop fishing with. They all seem great so I am really torn! I am leaning Daiwa, but just don't know. Thanks for any help ;)

Kudos's on 12 months smoke free..

I have 14 months smoke free and going strong.

While the Tierra is a good reel, I am parcel to Shimano® and think the Citica is best for your dollar. But I would also recommend handling each reel on your list to see how they feel in your hand, and then on the rod you intend to use, to see what the system will feel like to you.

Just my .02¢ from the bench..

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!!

Haven't fished the other 2 reels you mentioned. I have 2 Citicas and think they are GREAT ;)!!!

As Ever,

skillet

Congratulations on being Smoke-Free, I am getting close to the 9-month mark myself. I have 4 Citicas and absolutely love them. I have Abus, Quantums, and a couple of Daiwas, but the Citicas are my go to reels. My .02 go for the Citica, too.

I'd pick the Tierra, don't like the weight of the Citica....but thats just me.  Also, if you really like the Tierra you might consider the Cabela's Prodigy which is the same thing plus $20 cheaper.  I really like my Prodigy, it is almost on par with my Revo SX in smoothness.

I used to use Daiwa but got rid of all of them and only own Shimano.

Initially, I'm sure all three reels seem very comparable. Over time, Simano reels have gained a reputation for durability. Every Shimano I have ever owned is as good or better today than they day they came out of the box!

Strong, smooth, silent and reliant. This corporate motto represents all that Shimano is about. A reputation that has been earned over decades makes a statement in itself. I would choose the Citica.

8-)

Thanks for the replies, fellas. Looks like the Citica will be it than. I was wanting something that will last a really long time, and it sounds like the winner in that department.

P.S. Reel Mechanic and Ballpark Frank, good job on the no smoking! It is nice to see others doing the same thing! I had been wanting to quit for a while, so when a pack of cigs got to be about $5, and my niece kept ragging me, that was all the motivation I needed! Plus, it's sure nice to able to breathe again ;)