Sign in to follow this  
crappiekid24

Spinning Reel for Crucial

I am looking to get a spinning reel to match up to my new Shimano Crucial. I was thinking about getting a Daiwa Exceler. What spinning reel would you recommend to be matched up with a Shimano Crucial 7'2" M rod? Like to keep it under $100 thanks.

Definitely NOT a Daiwa!

;)

I also have a Saros on my Crucial 6'8" MH rod so thats a good choice.

On a budget I'd try:

- Pflueger President

- Shimano Symetre

- Daiwa Exceler (like you mentioned)

I got a stradic mgfa on 1 and a new daiwa advantage on the other (super smooth and only 120$)

Definitely NOT a Daiwa!

;)

X2. Im pretty sure its illegal to put anything other than a Shimano on a Shimano  :o. In all seriousness i would definitely go with a Shimano Symetre, i guarantee you will love it.

Oil and water don't mix and neither do Shimano and Daiwa. ;D

Seriously, I'm just kidding. Put the reel of your choice. ;)

I haven't used my new Crucial yet (hopin' for some action this weekend ;) ), but I have used an Exceler on a lightweight 6'6" MF rod.

The Exceler 2500 seems slightly larger than the (old) Stradic 2500 FH, but it is not a meaningful difference to me.  I had the Exceler on my backup rod, but recently realized that it outcasts the Stradic FH by a substantial margin (consistently 10 to 20 ft).  For me, the difference was reaching distant structure with the Stradic and casting 10 to 20 feet past the structure with the Exceler.  The difference resulted in fish from a previously unattainable area.

Cheers

Definitely NOT a Daiwa!

;)

X2. Im pretty sure its illegal to put anything other than a Shimano on a Shimano :o. In all seriousness i would definitely go with a Shimano Symetre, i guarantee you will love it.

I agree and I am not kidding. It's just a quirk with me I know but my crazy brain won't allow me to put anything but a Shimano reel on that Shimano rod.

Like others have suggested the Symetre is a great choice.

I have two Crucial spinning rods (7'2" ML dropshot and 7' M), both with Shimano reels.  The 7'2" ML has a Symetre 1500 and the 7' has a Saros 2500.  Both are great reels, very smooth, nice drags, and look good, too.  I prefer the Saros a little more because of the upgraded features it has over the Symetre (one-piece bail,  new spool design, harder gears, etc..).  I bought the Symetre a few years ago for ~$80 and just got the Saros a couple months ago for $100 on eBay.  

I am going to wait and save up so I can get a better reel. So now I am thinking it will be between the Daiwa TD Advantage or Tierra and the Shimano Stradic FI.

I am going to wait and save up so I can get a better reel. So now I am thinking it will be between the Daiwa TD Advantage or Tierra and the Shimano Stradic FI.

Very smart, much better the Stradic FI or the Tierra and up.

I have a Symetre for sale, on line twisting they sucks.

I have been using the Exceler 2000 and 2500 for salt water and they are OK.

Stay away from cheapo Shimanos

Shimano crucial 7'2" MXF Tierra 1500.  

I like the smaller lighter reel on this rod.  It is more comfortable and feels more sensitive with lighter reel.  My Tierra is away on maintenance and I have a $30 reel in the 1500 size on there rather than the $120 2500 size just to maintain light, comfortable, and my perceived sensitivity.

Advantage don't look back i have one on the crucial smoothest thing ever.

If you can get over the shimano on a daiwa thing...go advantage.  I just sold 3 Fuego's, a Sustain, and a Steez in favor of my advantage.  If you go shimano I'd get the saros.  

If you can get over the shimano on a daiwa thing...go advantage. I just sold 3 Fuego's, a Sustain, and a Steez in favor of my advantage. If you go shimano I'd get the saros.

Yep, I have a Saros on a Crucial and I love it! 8-)

If you can get over the shimano on a daiwa thing...go advantage. I just sold 3 Fuego's, a Sustain, and a Steez in favor of my advantage. If you go shimano I'd get the saros.

What made you choose the advantage over the other higher priced reels? I have my sights on the sol for a while but even the daiwa reps working the at the fishing show I went to pointed me to the advantage instead of the higher priced reels they had.  

Yep, I have a Saros on a Crucial and I love it! 8-)

Interesting. I tried out a Saros 2500 on my 6'6" Med. Crucial and didn't like the way it felt. The Saros was just too heavy. I switched to a Symetre 2500 and it feels so much more balanced. I know the Saros is probably a better reel overall, but the combo just didn't feel good in my hand.

If you can get over the shimano on a daiwa thing...go advantage.  I just sold 3 Fuego's, a Sustain, and a Steez in favor of my advantage.  If you go shimano I'd get the saros.  

What made you choose the advantage over the other higher priced reels? I have my sights on the sol for a while but even the daiwa reps working the at the fishing show I went to pointed me to the advantage instead of the higher priced reels they had.  

The fit and finish of the advantage is sick it's soo smooth it makes me feel spoiled and for the money it's the best out there